Hi Guest!

Community Contributions

ConvictRecords.com.au is based on the British Convict transportation register, compiled by the State Library of Queensland. We have given a searchable interface to this database, and show the information for each convict in full.

You can help grow this resource by contributing your own findings on any convict page by pressing the Contribute to this record button.

Goal: 100 500 1,500 3,310 5,000 10,000 New Convicts

A big thanks to everyone who contributed a convict - we reached our original target of 100 new convicts in less than a month, and have had an amazing 7,057 new convicts added in total!

If you have found a convict record that is not listed on this website (there is approximately 29,055 of them after all!), you can add a new convict here.


Goal: 1,000 5,000 10,000 25,000 50,000 Contributions

By contributing you will bring the community a step closer to a goal of 50,000 contributions. We currently have 30,897 contributions.


Recent Submissions

Anonymous on 22nd May, 2011 wrote of Francis Piper:

I am a direct descendant of Francis and Edward Piper. They were two brothers convicted of stealing flax from a ship moored in the Thames River.
The daughter of Francis was Dulcibella Piper who married Gregory Board also the son of convicts. They later became wealthy landowners who owned much of Market Street in Sydney.

Anonymous on 22nd May, 2011 wrote of Thomas Saxton:

A Thomas Saxton was transported to Norfolk Island some time after 26 August 1843.  On 1 July 1846, a Mutiny/Uprising took place in Sydney Town (now Kingston), Norfolk Island that was led by William Westwood (aka ‘Jakey Jakey’), a bushranger and convict, which saw four (4) Convict Constables killed (a Police Runner/Overseer - Stephen Smith, and 3 Convict Constables, John Dinon, John Morris & James Saxton). 

One of those killed was ‘Constable Saxton’ It is believed that ‘Constable Saxton’ and ‘Thomas Saxton’ are one in the same, as there is no other record of a ‘Saxton’ coming to Norfolk Island. 

This incident is often referred to as the ‘Cooking Pot Uprising’.  In all, twelve (12) Convicts (including Westwood) were convicted and hung for the murders furhter details can be found at: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/685360 or

Anonymous on 22nd May, 2011 wrote of Thomas Burden:

On 10 Nov 1845 Thomas appeared in Quarter Sessions Court and was committed to trial by G W Wroughton having been charged "on the oaths of Richard Wild and others with having stolen one lamb, the property of the said Richard Wild at Wilcot".  The record notes that Thomas was then aged 46, "reads imperfectly" and gives his occupation as a shepherd.

He was tried at the Wiltshire Assizes on 6 Jan 1846 and found guilty.  His sentence was that he "be transported for fifteen years and in the meantime to be confined in the County Goal".

Thomas’ goal report notes this was his second conviction, that he was married to his 4th wife Francis King and that he had 10 children, 3 being from that marriage.  It also gives his religion as Protestant and notes he was able to read and write.

Thomas was transported in the ship "Palmyra" that had sailed from Woolwich to Portsmouth on 8 Mar 1846.  The ship then left Portsmouth for V.D.L. on 1 May 1846 with 300 convicts aboard, all of whom were male.  Eight died during the voyage and the ship arrived at Hobart Town on 23 Aug 1846. 

Thomas’ convict report describes him as being 48 when he arrived in VDL, 5 feet 8 inches in height with an oval head, brown & grey hair and brown eyebrows, a long visage, high and broad forehead, large nose and light blue eyes.  He had a scar on his right cheek, a scar on the knuckle of his left hand forefinger and a scar on the forefinger of his right hand.  It also records that he could read and write and records his "native place" as Devizes, Wiltshire. The surgeon’s report notes that he was well behaved.

He was placed in a convict gang and worked at Rocky Hills (03/09/1846), Prison Barracks (03/10/1848), and was then assigned to work for George Moore at Sorell (06/06/1849), John Watson at Sorell (13/12/1849)*, Thomas Crustterden at Prosser Plains (11/01/1851), James Raddcliffe at Spring Bay (12/08/1851) and John Tunbridge at Spring Bay

Thomas was granted a Ticket of Leave on 12 Apr 1853 and received a Conditional Pardon on 3 Apr 1855.

The Birth Deaths and Marriages office records Thomas’ death in 1870 in the district of Sorell.  Details are -
Number 533
Date of Death - 8th of April
Name - Thomas Burdon
Sex - Male
Age - 71
Occupation - Farmer
Cause of Death - Dropsy

The Informant was William Burdon who signed with a "X";  witnessed by R Fitzsimmons.  William’s residence was Bream Creek, the Registrar was R Fitzsimmons and the death was registered on the 9th of April.

Anonymous on 21st May, 2011 wrote of Joseph Tomlinson:

He married Catherine Byrne at O’brien’s Bridge, Tasmania in 1847

Anonymous on 21st May, 2011 wrote of Ann Read:

Died Parrmatta Buried Liverpool NSW 02/09/1828 age given as 61
Cohabitated with Edward Bearcroft Parrett NI
Wed 05 Sept 1798 Death Sentence pardon
Absolute pardon 04 June 1804
Cohabitated with John Drummond NI Married J D 3/5/1813 12 mths to the day FMR married 1812 HTown
One child Frances Mary Read born first months of 1787. There is no record of this child in any records including Aurther Bowes Smyth’s Journal.

Anonymous on 21st May, 2011 wrote of Joseph Bosworth:

My 2 x Great Grandfather

UK Prison Hulk Registers & Letter Books (1802-1849) - Moored: Chatham Ship: Fortitude

(Received 7 from Warwick 6th March 1838)

No. 1616
Prisoner Name: Joseph Bosworth
Age: 17
Crime: Housebreaking
Where Convicted: Warwick
When Convicted: 2 January 1838
Sentence: 7 years
Married/Single: Single
Read/Write: Neither
Trade: Brass Castor
Goaler’s Report: Not Known
How disposed of: 23 July 1838 NSW Earl Grey

Anonymous on 21st May, 2011 wrote of William Crust:

I have the deportation inscription record with his conviction. It reads:
‘William Crust - late of Parish of Kesteven - on 11th April in the reign of George IV 1820.
Stealing at Deeping St. James:
2 tame rabbits worth 2d.
one map made of wool and wooden worth 5d. from Joseph Fairchild and stealing
2 tame ducks worth 6d. and
1 tame duck worth 4d. from Thomas Palmer
Then and there being found feloniously did wrongly act against the peace of our Sovereign George - Crown and Dignity

Anonymous on 21st May, 2011 wrote of Edward Gibbons:

his crime was murder

Anonymous on 21st May, 2011 wrote of William Garraway:

William Garraway was born in the small village of Swainswick to poor parents. At age 22, he and his younger brother Cyrus were tried for the crime of ‘’ HIGHWAY ROBBERY’’ and ‘‘ASSAULT’’ on the 6 August 1836.

The Local Newspaper Report:

Bath & Cheltenham Gazette August 16th 1836 Page 4 Columns 3-4

John Cleverly, William Garraway, Cyrus Garraway, Charles Barrett and Moses Townsend were indicted for assaulting George Churchill, putting him in fear and robbing him of 9s 6d and other articles near Bath.

George Churchill lived at Swainswick near Bath. On Saturday night 16th July he was returning from Bath accompanied by his son about 9 o’clock at night; he had a basket containing some sugar and other articles; when they got as far as Tadwick Lane he saw the five prisoners whom he had known for some time; he said to them ‘good night, gentlemen’; John Cleverley said ‘aye’ and then knocked him down. Cyrus Garraway then fell upon the witness, cut out his pockets with a knife and took away 9s 6d. Witness said ‘I have got no watch’. William Garraway said ‘search him’ and one of them searched him; they picked things out of his basket; Cyrus Garraway searched the boy and took the hat off his head; the other prisoners held him down; they all went away together. Witness remained there for some time – cross examined – The boy appeared to be much frightened; had drunk a pint of ale in Bath, and half a pint coming back.

Henry Churchill the son of the last witness corroborated his father’s testimony.

John Hulbert found a basket in a field on his way to Pinacre (?) on the morning of 17th July. Thomas Gunning lives at Swainswick, remembers the prosecutor coming to him at about 11 o’clock that night.

Henry Perry, officer of Bath, apprehended William Garraway; he was in bed; told him what he took him for; he made no reply.

Isaac Hall was at the White Lion tap on the night of the robbery and saw all the prisoners drinking together.

Mr Baron Alderson having summed up, the jury found all the prisoners guilty – death recorded

The sentence seems to have been commuted to ‘‘LIFE’’ imprisonment, and sent to the convict colony of ‘‘Van Diemen’s Land" in Australia (Launceston, Tasmania.)

He was to spend the next few months on the convict ship "SARAH" and his conduct report indicates that his behaviour in the Hulk "GOOD" and the surgeons report "VERY GOOD".

HM Convict Ship Sarah
The HM convict ship Sarah was a 480 ton brig from London. The Sarah was converted from commercial use to convict transport. She was waiting outside Portsmouth harbour in 1836 to take on convicts. The surgeon-superintendant of the Sarah was James McTernan who was a royal naval surgeon. The surgeon-superintendants job was to ensure the safety of the convicts and make sure that they made it to Australia by keeping the convicts fit and healthy. For every convict that he delivered safe to the Australian colonies, James McTernan would receive half a guinea.

The Sarah had already been to Australia and sailed back so she was relatively new and watertight. On the 22nd December 1836, the Sarah left Portsmouth harbour with the wind blowing from the north-north-east. When the Sarah got out into the English Channel, she was taking heavy seas over the forecastle and washing the convicts out of their bunks in the orlop deck. This bad weather lasted for a week and soaked the convicts and crew. Eventually as the ship sailed south, the weather cleared up and the convicts could dry their clothes and bedding. As they approached the equator they got more pleasant weather and the health of the convicts got a lot better.

The Sarah did not stop at Rio di Janeiro because of fears that the convicts would mutiny and take over the ship, and officers would take in stores to sell in the Australian colonies. The Sarah sailed South-east towards the cape of good hope in hot weather, and then sailed a few points south to the tip of Tasmania at Port Davey, which she sighted ninety-three days after leaving Portsmouth. On the 28th March 1837, the Sarah entered the Hobart Town Heads after a voyage of 97 days and dropped anchor in The Cove.

These are extracts from his Prison Conduct Report:

* On the 29th June 1837, "Absent without leave" (punishment not listed)

* On the 31st January 1838 "Absconding" ( 50 lashes )

* "Disobedience of orders" ( Impounded )

* On the 17th November 1840 Misconduct , "Refusing to clean cells out" ( punishment not listed )

* On April 20 1842 "Misconduct" ( 14 days - illegible )

* On October 17 1842 "Disobedience of orders, insolence and neglect of duty" (3 months hard labour in chains)

* On the 11th June 1845 Misconduct "Assaulting James Anst" (6 months hard labour)

William was listed as 5 feet 5inches , single , native place—- Swainswick, Trade—Ploughman and Kitchen Gardener.
There is record of a convict permission to marry in Tasmania for William and Hannah Matthews, and the paperwork indicates that a child may of existed but is unknown to me. They married in Brighton, Tasmania on the 12 August 1848.

It seems that William an Hannah did not last long, as he seemed to be living life as a single man on the Gold Fields of Victoria (Ballarat) in 1853 until he got himself in trouble again….

Geelong Advertiser 27 April 1853, 2/2:


Arthur Burrow and William Garroway were indicted for robbing William Harry Mitchell, at the Ballarat Diggings, Pennyweight Flat.

Mitchell being sworn, deposed, that he, in company with another person, called at the prisoner’s tent, to ask their way to their own encampment, on the night of the 10th of April. instant; five men were in the tent, and they all cried out to witness and his companion to "shout for something to drink:" not complying with their request, and retiring from the tent, one of those men, Garroway, seized the handle of a pickaxe, and struck witness over the back, whilst the other seized hold of a revolver, and fired at him, but missed his aim, as witness knocked the revolver, before it exploded, away from the direction of his person; witness then knocked the fellow down, when the short man, Barrow, caught hold of him by the throat, whilst two other of his companions rifled his pockets, and took away all the money that was upon him.

By Burrow.—It was about 8 o’clock at night, witness came into your tent with his companion; you were one of the men that held him down at the door of the tent, whilst the rest robbed him; recognised you by the light of the fire, which was burning alongside the tent.

By Garroway.—You were the man who struck witness with the pick axe handle.

By the Judge.—Has not the slightest doubt touching the identity of the prisoners.

Alex. McLean, being sworn, deposed—That being at Pennyweight Flat, near Ballarat, on the night of the 10th April, on his road home with the last witness, from Canadian Gully, they called at a tent to ask their way; there were four or five men in the tent, and they asked for liquor, which was refused; one of the prisoners, now before the Court, then ordered witness and his companions to leave the tent, and Burrow took up a heavy piece of wood, and struck his companion first, and afterwards struck witness; a revolver was then presented and fired at them, and their money demanded; after a considerable scuffle the last witness and himself escaped, and gave information to the police.

Burrow stated that he knew nothing about the affair, as he was the worse for drink at the time. The other prisoner made much the same sort of defence.

His Honor addressed the jury by observing that there could be very little doubt that both the prisoners were present at the tent when the violence and robbery was committed; and although some variation appears in the evidence of the two witnesses, one stating that Garroway used the pickaxe handle, and the other affirming that Burrow inflicted the blows with that instrument; still there could be little doubt but that both the prisoners were taking an active part on this occasion. As to the supposition that the two men were trespassing in the tent, it could not be reconciled with justice, should that even be the case, to subject them to such violence. It appeared to him to be another of those unfortunate instances where dram drinking had produced its baneful consequences.

The jury returned a verdict of guilty against both prisoners, and

His Honor, after severely commenting upon the enormity of the offence, sentenced each of the prisoners to 10 years’ hard labour on the roads of the colony, the first of which to be worked in irons.

He recieved his freedom ticket in 1860 and died of T.B in the township of Clunes in 1867. I am not sure what became of wife Hannah.

Anonymous on 21st May, 2011 wrote of William Garroway:

Born William Garraway in 1799 in Avening, Gloucestershire, England, to William Garraway and Mary Boulter.
He married Mary Saxty and they lived in Batheaston, Somerset, England. They has two sons, William and Joseph.

Saturday, July 16 1842


Highwaymen In Custody.- We have much pleasure in stating that William Garraway, the principal engaged in the robbery of Mrs. Beard and her son, as detailed in our last paper, was, on Monday apprehended in a cottage at Bailbrook.

The prisoner who is about 50 years of age, has long been a well known character of Batheaston; he has been once before convicted for stealing malt from Mr. Brinkworth’s premises at that place; and his son was sentenced to 15 years transportation, for robbing Mr.Pobjoy, Mr.Wiltshire’s steward, at Bathford, a short time since.
He is an old and accomplished Highwayman and Burglar, and has long escaped the vigilance of police.

On being charged with the robbery, and seeing a handbill stating that an accomplice giving information of the robbery would be entitled to a reward of 30 shillings, he wished to avail himself of the promise contained in the bill, by implicating his companions.
Another of the gang, named J.Davey, from Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, is also in custody, and as the rest of the party are now known, and the police of Wiltshire and Gloucestershire being on the alert, they are daily expected to be apprehended. - Bristol Mirror

William was sentenced to 21 years at Gloucester Assises, and was transported to the worlds worst penal colony on Norfolk Island, off the coast of North Eastern Australia.
Norfolk Island prison was regarded as a living Hell, with prisoners sleeping in their own mess, on cold stone floors. Prison guards reported that prisoners begged to be shot daily, to be put out of their misery.
After years of complaints from the prison guards and administration, the prison was eventually shut down, and the surviving prisoners transported to Van Deimens Land.
This was the luck for William, and he could then be reunited with his son Joseph, a prisoner stationed there.

Although still appearing to be married to Mary Saxty of Batheaston, I found evidence that he may of married Ellen Ann Collins in Tasmania,1853.
There seems to be no further records of him living in Australia after that.
He may of moved back to Engand.

Anonymous on 21st May, 2011 wrote of William Trigg:

William Trigg was baptised 26th June 1814 at Westbury on Severn, Glouscestershire,England.
Son of Henry Trigg and Hannah nee Dubery? or Dewbery?  married by banns 29th Nov 1813 at church of St Mary, St Peter and St Paul at Westbury on Severn.
William had brother Joseph, baptised 29th April 1816 at Westbury on Severn also sister Mary-Anne baptised 2nd Oct 1817 at St. Nicholas, Westbury on Severn.

William was tried at Gloucestershire lent assizes 25th Aug 1835 on oath of Henry Hollyfield that on 24th Aug 1835 at Parish of Cheltenham, he had stolen an umbrella, the property of James Hobbs and was found guilty and sentenced to 3 months gaol, the last month in solitude.
The following year William stood trial again at the Gloucestershire summer assizes on 10th Aug 1836, charged with having stolen seven shillings from William Edwards at Cheltenham by highway robbery and sentenced to death by hanging.
His trade was noted a "Good Sawyer".
This sentence was commuted to transportation for life to New South Wales.
William was transported on the John II (ie. second voyage to colony),sailing from Sheerness on 7th Sept 1836 and arriving Sydney 17th Feb 1837.
From Sydney William was sent to Port Phillip, his master being the government (possibly in response to requests by Magistrate, Capt William Lonsdale for suitably qualified convicts to aid in the establishment of the newly surveyed township of Melbourne).
MC Reg 4th Sept 1837, William was recorded as being "out of hours" for which he received fifty lashes.
Return 30 Oct 1837, Cutting flooring boards and quartering.
Feb 1838 Discharged.
MC Reg 8th Feb 1838 absconded- stole Mr. John Pascoe Fawlkner’s boat.
Mar 1838 Received.
Mar 1838 Discharged.
11 March 1838, Port Phillip-Melbourne- Stealing from dwelling house- Convict escape (The "Childe Harold incident" involved William Trigg and party of other convicts absconding, stealing property and firearms and seizing a cutter the "Childe Harold" and attempting to escape from Port Phillip to sea, while being pursued by the revenue cutter and a company of troopers following them along the shore. They encountered an inward bound ship at the channel through heads and beached the stolen cutter and mad into the bush to avoid being apprehended.
William was captured hiding behind a log with a weapon but surrendered without resisting.
The rest of the escapees were rounded up by trooper over ensuing weeks and sent by ship to Sydney to face trial.
Various witnesses were sent by ship to attend the hearing which was held 4th June 1838 as R.v.Hitchcock and others in NSW Supreme Court, J. Willis.
The jury found them guilty of charges without leaving box and a capital sentence was pronounced.
The sentnece in Williams case was not carried out as he is recorded on 14th April 1848 as being apprehended form Botanical Gardens on 31st Ultimo.
William is listed at Hyde Park Barracks, Sydney as is his spouse Anne Brady, an Irish orphan of the Potato Blight Famine native of Killefasy, Cavan, Ireland who came to Sydney aboard the Tippoo Saib arriving 25 July 1850.
William spent two seperate periods on Cockatoo island in Sydney harbour including 23 months in an iron gang.

Anonymous on 20th May, 2011 wrote of James Usher:

native of Co.Galway Ireland. calling seaman born 1783 age 34, height 5ft.31/2 inches,complexion pale,hair sandy eyes grey.

Anonymous on 20th May, 2011 wrote of Noson Davis:

Norson married Rebecca Greenlaw 20 August 1838 and resided in Bathurst New South Wales. He was a storekeeper there. He had suffered several bankruptcies. His daughter Rebecca married James Bennett who was digging in the goldfields of Bathurst. He died 1865 in Bathurst and is buried in the Jewish section of the cemetery in Orange New South Wales.

Anonymous on 20th May, 2011 wrote of James Nelson:

James Nelson..Born Shankill Belfast Ireland..1841, son of James Nelson..Publican. Belfast…After serving his sentence,he married Mary Jane Donovan.in Perth Western Australia in 1869..Mary was the daughter of John Donovan. Painter.Bristol England…and she came to Australia in 1869 on the ship Hastings… They settled in Adelaide South Australia, had 8 children, and James died in 1924.age 83…Mary died in 1930,age 86 and both are buried at West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide South Australia…

Anonymous on 19th May, 2011 wrote of Robert Simpson:

I have full records of robert simpson


Anonymous on 19th May, 2011 wrote of Esther Ogden:

I have full records about esther ogden


Anonymous on 19th May, 2011 wrote of Lydia Parker:

Lydia married Thomas Barber B Cir1760/1 Manchester Lancashire
Velvet Dresser
Arrived 12Jun 1801 Ship Earl Cornwallis Private NSW Corps Shopkeeper Paramatta D22Jun1838 and had a daughter Lydia Barber Born in the colony B10Oct1803 D1835

Anonymous on 19th May, 2011 wrote of William Philp:

William Philp was a master mariner before his conviction and escaped with a group of convicts after stealing the provisioning ship Badger in 1833. A newspaper report some months later claims he was spotted in Macao but was not recaptured.

Anonymous on 19th May, 2011 wrote of Richard Hunt:

Convict ship Morley 1817
M12Feb1821Harness Maker Paramatta Wesleyan Chappel Sunday School Superintendent Died in Gundagai in a Murrumbidgee night flood with 2nd wife Sarah and 4 children among 89 residentsD25Jun 1852, His son was
Charles William Hunt
B31Jan 1822Lay Preacher Methodist Church M5 Apr1841 D19Sep1896

Anonymous on 19th May, 2011 wrote of Andrew Keating:

Andrew Keating was convicted of stealing 26lbs sugar, value14s along with James Garrard on the 11th January 1828, at the Old Bailey. Keating was found guilty and transported for 7 years, Garrard was confined for 6 months.
Andrew was also sentenced to 50 lashes for threatening the life of his overseer at Parramatta. The skin on his back was badly lacerated his suffering rather severe. Gov Gazette No 115 3 April 1833.
Also a further 25 lashes at Parramatta Sept 1833 for being drunk.
In August 1837 he married another convict Harriet Erreck/Elick at St Johns Parramatta. He died in 1857 and is buried at St Thomas’ Enfield.

Anonymous on 19th May, 2011 wrote of Janet Lindsay:

Convicted of stealing two sheep with her brothers, Angus and Donald Lindsay in Greenock, all described as natives of Jura.

Anonymous on 19th May, 2011 wrote of George Ackland:

Also known as George Prince. From Redlynch, Downton, Wiltshire. Stealing a sheep. My 3rd great grandfather.

Anonymous on 18th May, 2011 wrote of Henry Anderson:

Assigned to Mr Jones, Parramatta 1822
Assigned to Henry Donnison, Erina, Brisbane Waters, NSW 1834
Granted marriage to Ann Flynn 1838
Granted ticket of leave 1838
Granted Conditional Pardon 1842
Died Narara, NSW 1891

Anonymous on 18th May, 2011 wrote of Thomas Turner:

Thomas Turner’s correct name was Thomas Ternouth.  He was the brother of the sculptor John Ternouth, but was transported for the term of his natural life having been convicted of stealing a horse at the Surrey Assizes.  Thomas too was a stonemason, his skill being used by Governor Macquarie on such buildings as the Macquarie Tower at South Head, St James’ Church, Phillip Street, and the Stables at Government House (now the Conservatorium of Music)

Anonymous on 18th May, 2011 wrote of John Grantham:

John Grantham resided at westbury, Tasmania. He had thre daughters Elizabeth ,Mary ann, and Isabella, all born 1860, 1862, 1864, respectively. His partner was Isabella Nipper. However he married a Mary ann Balfe in Westbury April 1864, under his real name. Ten weeks later in July,he married Isabella Nipper under alias John Grant. He was charged with Bigamy,as he married them both in the Wesleyan church in Westbury. Note on Nla beta trove newspapers Australia. Died in Launceston Infirmary, 1889.

‹ First  < 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 >