Hi Guest!

Community Contributions

ConvictRecords.com.au is based on the British Convict transportation register, compiled by the State Library of Queensland. We have given a searchable interface to this database, and show the information for each convict in full.

You can help grow this resource by contributing your own findings on any convict page by pressing the Contribute to this record button.

Goal: 100 500 1,500 3,310 5,000 10,000 New Convicts

A big thanks to everyone who contributed a convict - we reached our original target of 100 new convicts in less than a month, and have had an amazing 7,640 new convicts added in total!

If you have found a convict record that is not listed on this website (there is approximately 28,472 of them after all!), you can add a new convict here.


Goal: 1,000 5,000 10,000 25,000 50,000 Contributions

By contributing you will bring the community a step closer to a goal of 50,000 contributions. We currently have 35,136 contributions.


Recent Submissions

Leanne Marsh on 28th October, 2012 wrote of Mary Ann Mccash:

info obtained from “New South Wales, Australia, Convict Indents, 1788-1842

Peter Morris on 28th October, 2012 wrote of Edward Moyle:


b. 1761       d. August 19, 1838

      With the advent of the American War of Independence, 1775 – 1783, England no longer had a place to sends its convicts.  Criminals previously sent to America were often sold as slaves.  Consequently they tended to remain as slaves for the rest of their lives.  The convicts that were dispatched to the colonies of Australia were controlled by the ‘Master & Servant Act’ and, therefore, were generally considered to be free on completion of their sentence.  Retired naval ships of the line, hulks tied up and rotting in the rivers of south and east England served as prisons for the overflow from the land based gaols.  After a failed attempt to establish a prison settlement on the west coast of Africa it was decided to form a prison colony in New South Wales.  This followed on from the voyage of Captain James Cook wherein he discovered the east coast of the ‘great south land’.  In the interim period there were submissions by Sir Joseph Banks and, more particularly, James Matra, both having sailed with Cook, as to the suitability of the place for a settlement.
      Edward Miles (alias Moyle) was born in early 1761 at Wendon in Cornwall in southwest England.  Christened on April 5 in 1761 his parents were Edward Moyle and Elizabeth Uren.  All early records show his name as “Moyle” and this is his listing on embarkation, however, on his arrival in Port Jackson in 1788 aboard the First Fleet he was recorded as Edward Miles and all subsequent records are in that name. 1
      It was alleged that on the 19th March, 1785 at the Launceston Assizes Edward Moyle and John Rowe: “for the feloniously breaking and entering the Dw: Ho: of Benjamin Barrett about 11 in the forenoon no person being therein and stealing thereout two cloth coats val. 50s, and other goods val. 17s.8d. his property”.  “Guilty of stealing the goods, not guilty of breaking and entering the house of the day.  Each to be transported for 7 years.”2 It should not be assumed that Edward, or indeed, any of our convict ancestors were merely victims of an overly harsh system of sentencing in the British courts.  For two years he languished in the hulk Dunkirk in London before leaving England on the 13th May 1787 with the First Fleet, under the command of Captain Arthur Phillip who was to become the governor of the colony.  At the time Edward was described as “tolerably decent and orderly.” The First Fleet consisted of eleven ships with approximately 1350 men, women and children.  Edward embarked on the vessel Charlotte but was transferred to the Scarborough at Portsmouth.  A ship of 430 tons it was the largest of the convict transport vessels and it was aboard this ship that our Edward Miles departed Britain.
      After clearing the English Channel there was an attempted uprising of the convicts on the Scarborough.  The ringleaders were removed to the Sirius and placed in irons.  After a stay at Teneriffe in the Canary Islands, Rio de Janeiro, on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean at Brazil, was reached on the 5th August.  Here ‘the convicts were held on the ships, locked below decks in the sweltering heat.’  ‘On the whole the weather had been favourable and the fleet kept company without great difficulty.’3 After calling into the Cape of Good Hope where they stayed for a month the reprovisioned fleet set sail for and arrived at Botany Bay between the 18th and the 20th of January 1788.  Seeing the unsuitability of the area and following Phillip’s examination of Port Jackson the entire fleet moved to and anchored in Port Jackson on the 26th January 1788.4
      Edward Miles thus became a part of the very beginning of the Australian colonization by Europeans.  The first few years of the colony have been described as the “hungry years”.  The colonists had generally not learnt to ‘live off the land’ and to find the foods of the aboriginals.  In a bid to preserve their scarce food resources Governor Phillip had a public store established and the penalty for pilfering and theft was death.  In 1789 Captain Watkin Tench reported that ‘six marines … were hanged by the public executioner, on the sentence of a criminal court, for having at various times robbed the public store of flour, meat, spirits, tobacco and many other articles.’5 In this atmosphere, it was reported, that on ‘Saturday 6th February 1790, Edward Miles was accused of stealing vegetables from Captain Johnston’s garden … [but] the prisoner was discharged “for want of proof”.’6 Capt. George Johnson, in charge of the marines, was to become a major and a leader of the infamous Rum Corps who were responsible for the overthrow of Governor Bligh in 1808.  Johnston then assumed the title of Lieutenant-Governor and was the colony’s, rather ineffectual, local ruler until the arrival of Governor Macquarie in 1810.7
      On the 1st May, 1797 Edward was granted 30 acres of land at Prospect Hill (now Prospect) by the then Governor of the colony, Captain John Hunter.  This was adjacent to a grant of land to John Rowe, his old Cornwall accomplice. Five years later he sold half his grant.8 On the 31st October, 1803 he married Susannah Smith at St. John’s, Parramatta.9 On 24 October 1809 he was granted a further 70 acres at Prospect, however, this property was destroyed in 1825.  More land was granted, this time at Minto.10
    Four daughters were born to Edward and Susannah, the elder two at Prospect Hill and the younger ones at Cowpasture/Minto.11 Edward was not a successful farmer and both he and his wife were obliged to seek other employment fairly late in life.  The 1828 Census shows Edward to have moved away from Susannah and was working as a carpenter for, and living with, a Mrs Ryan at Illawarra.  On August 19, 1838 Edward died at Windsor and is buried, together with his wife Susannah, at St. Matthews, Windsor.12

Mark Rose on 28th October, 2012 wrote of George Evans:

Extract from Sussex Express

March 13th 1841

Barcombe - Robbery, capture and escape of the supposed thieves - A few nights since the cottage of a person named Smith was broken open, at Chailey, and some wearing apparel stolen therefrom.  Suspicion arising that a man named Evans, at Spithurst, Barcombe, was concerned in the robbery, the police went to the premises and took him into custody.  The prisoner then said he wished to fodder his master’s (Mr Knight) beasts, and he would go with them.  The police accompanied him to the yard, which is near a wood, when he immediately made his escape.  On Friday evening his brother was also taken into custody on suspicion, and the police wished to get a conveyance at the Royal Oak, Barcombe, to carry him to Lewes but the prisoner insisted on walking.  When they reached Offham he also insisted upon having something to drink at the Public House, when he seized the opportunity and jumped over the wall belonging to Mr. Partington, and made his escape also.  On Sunday last the police took the Evans’s premises sundry articles of wearing apparel, part of two guns, about 3lbs of tea, a quantity of bacon pork, several saws, hammers, chisels, etc, many of which have subsequently been identified.

Extract from Sussex Express
March 20th 1841

Barcombe - The late robbery
In our last week’s paper we stated that the cottage of a person named Smith had been broken open, at Chailey, and some wearing apparel stolen therefrom.  We also mentioned that two men named Evans (brothers) had been apprehended on suspicion of being concerned in the robbery, and had escaped from the custody of the Officers who had them in charge.  On Saturday last, however, one of them, George Evans, was taken into custody at Laughton, and conveyed to Lewes where he underwent an examination before Thos.Richardson, Esq. who remanded him for further examination on Wednesday last.  Accordingly on that day the prisoner was again brought up, and after a long investigation, he was fully committed for trial at the Assizes on the following charges.  First - with having on the 5th March broken into the dwelling house of Henry Smith, labourer, at Chailey and stolen therefrom one pair of half boots; Secondly - with receiving, knowing them to have been stolen, one leg of pork, and a pair of gloves the property of Robert Neve of Ringmer;  Thirdly - charged by G. Gladman, of Laughton, with receiving a glazed hat and a pair of half boots, his property, knowing them to have been stolen; Fourthly - with receiving, with a guilty knowledge, one pair of half boots, the lock of a gun, a ramrod stick, and two knives, the property of John Chatfield, of Barcombe.  Fifthly - charged with receiving one shirt, the property of the late Edward Kimber, knowing them to be stolen.  These articles were carried off when Edward Kimber was lying dead in the house.

Extract from Sussex Express
Lewes Crown Court - March 26 1841

George Evans, 26, labourer, charged with braking and entering the dwelling house of Henry Smith and stealing one pair of half boots, value 11 shillings, the goods of the said Henry Smith, at Chailey.  Also charged at the parish of Barcombe with receiving 1 pair of half boots, 1 gun lock, 1 ramrod stick and 2 knives, the goods of John Chatfield, well knowing the same to have been stolen.  Also charged at the parish of Barcombe with feloniously receiving 1 leg of pork, value 5 shillings and 1 pair of gloves, value sixpence, the goods of Robert Neve, well knowing the same to be stolen.  Also charged at the parish of Barcombe with feloniously receiving 1 pair of half boots, and 1 hat, the goods of George Gladman, well knowing the same to be stolen.

Transported for Life.

D Wong on 27th October, 2012 wrote of Mary Whitear:

Mary Whitear was 32 years old on arrival in VDL.  She was transported for stealing a Counterpane and 6 silver spoons from her master.

Mary was 5’3 1/2” tall, single, fresh complexion, grey eyes, dark brown hair and was a Pin Cook and Housemaid.

1832-1835 Muster: Assigned to Edward Curr.

1832: Married James Pickstock/Pitstock (Lord Hungerford).

D Wong on 27th October, 2012 wrote of James Pickstock:

James Pickstock (which later became Pitstock) was 22 years old on arrival in VDL, transported for stealing 10 handkerchiefs.

Born in Stockport, James was 5’4 1/2” tall, had Dark brown Hair and eyes, both arms and hands nearly covered with blue marks, scar on forehead.

1827: TOL
1829 COF.

1832: Married Mary Whitear (America). They had at least 2 children, Charles and Mary Ann.

D Wong on 27th October, 2012 wrote of Darby Nee:

Darby Nee was transported on the BACKWELL 1835.  The Backwell departed Cork 12/6/1835 and arrived at Port Jackson on 29/9/1835.

Darby was indicted for Malicious Assault and was a Fisherman/Labourer and single.

14/3/1842: COF.
No other records found.

D Wong on 27th October, 2012 wrote of William Hazelgrove:

William was 20 years old on arrival.

12/12/1832: Absconded from D F Mackay.

1838: TOL Williams River.
15/3/1845: CP

3/8/1840: Application to marry Ellen Keys (17 years old), William was 29.

16/6/1847: Died at Dungog.

Maitland Mercury: William Hazelgrove, for many years a trustworthy servant in the employ of Messrs. McKay and Hook, dropped dead while saddling his horse, on Monday morning last; up to the awful moment he had appeared in perfect health.  He was buried at Stroud.

1841 Census: at Berriwerry, District of Dungog.

D Wong on 27th October, 2012 wrote of Catherine Byrne:

Catherine Byrne arrived on the ARABIAN 1847.  The Ababian departed Dublin 22/11/1846 and arrived in Hobart on 25/2/1847.

Her occupation was: Varnisher/black polisher/washer woman.

Catherine was transported for stealing 24 Brass cocks from Mrs Mooney.  She was 24 years old on arrival, 5’0” tall, could read and write, single, fresh complexion, dard brown hair, hazel eyes.

1847: Orphan No. 5208 - Mary Sullivan.
Mother: Catherine Byrne
Father: James Sullivan.
Admitted: 4/3/1847 aged 5.
Discharged 6/10/1855 to James Mulcahy at Hobart.
Half sister to Hugh Quin.

11/11/1850: Married George Evans (Tortoise 1841).

4/2/1851: TOL - Not to reside in Launceston.

28/6/1853: COF

In 1854: George Evans left Launceston for Melbourne and later changed his surname to Smith.

Catherine Byrne nee Errett, then Evans then Smith.

Catherine had 7 children in total, 1 child was apparently left behind in Dublin, 2 were born in Launceston and 3 were born in Rushworth, Victoria.

D Wong on 27th October, 2012 wrote of George Evans:

George Evans arrived along with his brother Caleb on the same ship.  They stole money, half-boots and a gun from Mr S Smith.

George was 28 years old on arrival, 5’6” tall, could read and write, married with 4 children, stout made, light brown hair, blue eyes.
Father: Robert, Mother: Elizabeth.

2/7/1846: Tried in Launceston for stealing 15 bags of wheat from Daniel Walters - found not guilty.

5/3/1850: TOL

11/11/1850: Married Catherine Byrne (Arabian)

28/1/1854: Was a passenger Launceston to Melbourne.

May have later changed his name to Smith.

D Wong on 27th October, 2012 wrote of Caleb Evans:

Caleb was 24 years old on arrival in VDL. Transported with his brother George, for the same crime.

Caleb was 5’8 1/2” tall, could read and write was single, protestant, fresh complexion, brown hair, light hazel eyes.  Has been a soldier, lightly freckled.

244/7/1849: TOL
11/1/1853: CP
18/6/1861: COF

9/7/1850: Married Eliza Thompson (Lord Auckland) who died at Franklin in 1898.

1902: Caleb died at the Hobart General Hospital.

Christine Stewart on 27th October, 2012 wrote of John Donald:

Married Mary Ann Bury in Westbury Tasmania…buried in Westbury Anglican Cemetery in 1869. His wife Mary Ann died in 1887 and is buried with him

Paulette Thomas on 27th October, 2012 wrote of Catherine Byrne:

From New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia Convict Musters, 1806-1849:
Catherine Byrne [Catherine Erratt] 
Arrival Date: 1847
Vessel: Arabian
Province: Tasmania
Title: List of convicts (incomplete)
Year(s): 1808-1849
Place of Conviction: Dublin
New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia Convict Musters, 1806-1849
about Catherine Byrne Name: Catherine Byrne
[Catherine Erratt] 
Arrival Date: 1847
Vessel: Arabian
Province: Tasmania
Title: List of convicts (incomplete)
Year(s): 1808-1849
Place of Conviction: Dublin
New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia Convict Musters, 1806-1849
about Catherine Byrne Name: Catherine Byrne
[Catherine Erratt] 
Arrival Date: 1847
Vessel: Arabian
Province: Tasmania
Title: List of convicts (incomplete)
Year(s): 1808-1849
Place of Conviction: Dublin
Catherine was born Errett, but convicted under surname Byrne. In 1850 in Launceston, Catherine married convict George Evans. At some stage they started using the alias surname Smith. They moved to Rushworth, Victoria and had at least 5 children who were registered with surname Smith.

Paulette Thomas on 27th October, 2012 wrote of Caleb Evans:

Brother of George Evans transported for life on same journey on the Tortoise.

Paulette Thomas on 27th October, 2012 wrote of William Morris Lloyd:

William was aged 83 years when he died in 1901 and this tallies with the documented birth year 1818. However, this makes William aged 11 years when he was convicted. The documentation from Shropshire Record Office and on arrival in Sydney in 1831 gives his age as 21, which would make his birth year 1911; therefore, year of birth is uncertain. In 1837 he was in Merton, Victoria, with JP Pickering. In 1850 in Gawler, South Australia, he married Emily Burling and they had at least 9 children, the elder of whom were born in South Australia and the younger in Rushworth, Victoria. William died in 1901 in Rushworth.

Paulette Thomas on 26th October, 2012 wrote of George Evans:

On 11 November 1850 in Launceston, George Evans married an Irish convict Catherine (nee Errett) who was convicted as Catherine Byrne and was transported for 7 years to Tasmania on the Arabian. George Evans was pardoned in 1853 after serving 11 years of his life sentence. The couple then moved from Launceston to Rushworth in Victoria, where George worked as a miner, and had at least 5 children. At some stage after their marriage they started using the surname Smith and some of their children were registered at birth with that alias surname. It may be just a coincidence that the surname of the victim of the crime for which George Evans was convicted was Smith. George’s brother Caleb Evans was involved in the same crime and sentenced to 20 years transportation.

D Wong on 26th October, 2012 wrote of Edward Mayes:

Edward Mays was 33 years old on arrival in VDL.  He was single, 5’0 1/4” tall, dark brown hair and eyes, sallow complexion, windmill on right arm, and his native place was Bradfield, Suffolk.

He stole 17/6 from his master.

18/10/1853: TOL
27/10/1856: COF

1854: Married Margaret Quinn (Midlothian).

1863: Married Elizabeth Pearce (B1834) in Launceston, they had 2 children Elizabeth 1866 and Thomas Edward 1870.

30/6/1886: Edward died at the age of 68.  He was residing in Hobart.

D Wong on 26th October, 2012 wrote of Edward Mayes:

Edward was 37(according to his indent) years old, and transported for stealing fruit.  He was married to Lucy Baily in 1823 and they had 6 children.

Edward was 5’3 1/2” tall and was born in Beccles, Suffolk.

May 1839: TOL

1841: COF

1842: Married Mary Hay (1808-1908) at Hobart.  They had 4 children.

Carol Axton-Thompson on 26th October, 2012 wrote of John Coffee:

John Coffee was tried and convicted at Dublin City Oct 1808 - Life Sentence.
Transported to NSW on the ‘Boyd’, arriving 1809.

Transferred to Van Diemens Land on the ‘Kangaroo’ arriving 1816.

Age 25yrs; 5’1”; Brown hair; grey eyes. Painter.

Carol Axton-Thompson on 26th October, 2012 wrote of John Coffee:

Arrived 1843.

Carol Axton-Thompson on 26th October, 2012 wrote of Christopher Coffey:

Christopher Coffey was tried and convicted at Westmeath, Ireland of sheep stealing. 10yr sentence.
Transported on the ‘Orator’ departing Dublin 12/08/1843, arriving Van Diemens Land 21/11/1843.

Mother: Mary. Brothers: William & John (America).
Sisters: Rosa & Julia.

Single man. 5’. Roman Catholic. Labourer. Can read. Native Place: Kings County. 18yrs of age.

Richard Carlaw on 26th October, 2012 wrote of David Poultney:

Birth: Uncertain - possible baptism 17 JUL 1813 Saint Lawrence, Foleshill, Warwick, England, age 6, parents Thomas and Sarah.
Marriage: Annie Watt 19-Jan-1837, Hobart, Tasmania.
Death Hobart, 06/08/1884 (Tasmania Archives Office document: RGD 35 No 1795/1884).
Children: Sarah, William Bent, George, David, John (James), Ann Amelia, Thomas James Alexander, Margaret Mary Ann, Henry Edmund, Selina. (all Tasmania Archives Office)
Worked as a Field policeman whilst serving time, later Constable, then milkman

Marilyn on 26th October, 2012 wrote of Henry Upton:

Henry died 25 November 1827 at Liverpool Hospital, New South Wales. Unknown burial place.
The ceremony was perfored by Reverend Robert Cartwright.

Another extra bit of info:-

26th September 1819 Transported to Portsmouth and incarcerated on the Prison Hulk “Leviathan.”

Carol Axton-Thompson on 26th October, 2012 wrote of James Crawford:

James Crawford was tried and convicted at Kildare on 15/03/1843 for Larceny - stealing money. 7 yr sentence.
Transported on the ‘Orator’, ship arriving Van Diemens Land 21/11/1843.

Single man.

James died, at sea, on 05/11/1843 - the only death on the voyage.

Carol Axton-Thompson on 26th October, 2012 wrote of Jeremiah Brown:

Jeremiah was convicted at Norfolk on 13/01/1829 of Larceny - stealing handkerchiefs and other itmes. 7yr sentence.
Transported on the ‘Thames” arriving Van Diemens Land 1829.
Gaol Report: Bad disposition.
Hulk Report: Good.

Single man.

13/05/1832 Hayes: disobedience of orders and neglect of duty - Reprimand.

01/04/1834 on a Ticket of Leave: Drunk & out after hours - Fined 5/- and severe reprimand.

Free Cert. no. 889 01/10/1841.

Pamela Mawbey on 26th October, 2012 wrote of Samuel Onions:

In September 1836 he had been running an ironmonger business for seven years (since 1829) according to an ad he placed in a Sydney newspaper.

‹ First  < 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 >  Last ›