Hi Guest!
Contribute to this record

Thomas Buckton

Thomas Buckton, one of 200 convicts transported on the Tottenham, January 1818

Name, Aliases & Gender

Name: Thomas Buckton
Aliases: none
Gender: m

Birth, Occupation & Death

Date of Birth: 1783
Occupation: Brewer
Date of Death: 14th February, 1830
Age: 47 years

Life Span

Life span

Male median life span was 54 years*

* Median life span based on contributions

Conviction & Transportation

Sentence Severity

Sentence Severity

Sentenced to Life

Crime: Breaking and entering and stealing
Convicted at: Gloucester Assizes
Sentence term: Life
Ship: Tottenham
Departure date: January, 1818
Arrival date: 14th October, 1818
Place of arrival New South Wales
Passenger manifest Travelled with 200 other convicts


Primary source: Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 88, Class and Piece Number HO11/3, Page Number 3 (3)
Source description: This record is one of the entries in the British convict transportation registers 1787-1867 database compiled by State Library of Queensland from British Home Office (HO) records which are available on microfilm as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project.

Did you find the person you were looking for?

If Thomas Buckton was the person you were looking for, you may be able to discover more about them by looking at our resources page.

If you have more hunting to do, try a new search or browse the convict records.

Know more about Thomas Buckton?

Contribute to this record

Community Contributions

Caylie Wigney (nee Buxton) on 15th April, 2012 wrote:


Thomas was born around 1789. The first 28 years of his life in England have not been found. We are not certain where he was born, where he lived, or who his parents, brothers and sisters were.  Time and patience will reveal more.

Thomas first appears in the Gloucester summer assizes of 16th August, 1817.
His crime was to break into the dwelling house of Thomas Shepherd at Almondsbury and steal a leather pocket book containing 8 pounds (two one pound local notes, one five pound local note, one guinea and three seven shilling pieces of gold). At the time he was described as dark brown hair, light blue grey eyes, brown complexion, long face, a small cut on left side the end of his nose, rather long chin, a large mark on his belly near the naval, a mole on his left arm and a small scar, lower part fore finger, left hand.  He was 5’6 ½” and could read and write.

Somehow, Thomas managed to have his sentence of Death commuted to life. On the 27th March 1818, he was transported to New South Wales.  At the time, his occupation was recorded as Dyer and Woollen Manufacturer.  He had a ruddy complexion and hazel eyes.  He supposedly came from Yorkshire.

The ‘Tottenham’ sailed from Spithead, England on 17th April 1818.  She was twice beaten back, owing to various accidents and bad weather.  Her rudder also had to be repaired. The ‘Tottenham’, originally built in Stockton in 1802 by Thomas Haw, was a 3-decker, second class, ship rigged and measured 102ft. 6ins long and 31ft wide. Her tonnage was 557 tons.  Thomas appears several times in the surgeon’s log .  On the 18th May he was treated for severe pain in his left knee. By the 9th June he had swelling in the legs and blotches.  Thomas was one of 36 cases of scurvy and by the 24th June he was much improved. The voyage was very tedious and Captain Dugald McDougall arrived in Sydney, Australia on the 14th October 1818.  The vessel had been long expected and looked for. 190 male convicts were landed, 10 having died on the voyage.

No record has survived of Thomas’s first days in the colony, nor did the record of his assignment.

The first 28 years of his life should be interesting as his brief 11 ½ years in the colony found him quite active.

On 6th April 1819, he married Elizabeth Curtis (free) by banns. The minister was William Cooper. In late 1820 or early 1821 James was born. We have no record of Elizabeth’s death. However on the 2nd July 1821 Thomas married Jane Thompson.

Jane was born in England (probably London) in 1798. She arrived with her parents (James and Eliza (nee Sawyer)), brothers and sisters (free) aboard the “William Pitt” in 1806.  In 1814 she was living at Windsor.  Thomas and Jane were married at St Phillips church in Sydney.  The witnesses were Carolyn Thompson and Charles Hogsflesh.  At this time Thomas was a clothier.

On the 8th November 1822 Thomas was born. He was baptized at St Phillips church Sydney on the 8th December 1822.  Elizabeth was born on the 28th December 1824.  She also was baptized at St Phillips on the 6th February 1825.

On the 1st March 1826 “Thomas Buckson, prisoner of the crown, who had conducted himself with great insolence and disrespect towards the magistrates yesterday, whilst visiting the house to which his wife had obtained the indulgence of a licence for the last year. Sentenced to receive 50 lashes, and to be returned to Government.

In September of 1826 (a Saturday), Thomas purchased a mare from a Mr. Kelly for 35 pounds. Fortunately Thomas purchased the horse in the presence of Mr. Collins and Mr. Passfield and obtained a receipt.  On the following Monday, Thomas happened to meet Kelly who called out. “You are come to take me, I know: it is a stolen mare.”  Kelly made towards the back door offering to give back the money.

He subsequently made his escape from the house up George Street.  Thomas overtook him and gave him in charge to a constable.  A court case was held on 15th November 1826.

William Collins was the keeper of the Royal Oaks public house on the Brickfield Hill.

Shortly after, on the 23rd November 1826 Jane died.  She was buried in the Devonshire Street Cemetery, Sydney (CofE). Her headstone read:
“Sacred in memory of Mrs. Jane Buckton, wife of Thomas Buckton, who departed this life, 23rd November 1826, age 28 years, leaving a husband and …children.”

On the 27th November 1826, Thomas petitioned Governor Darling for his freedom. He also asked that if this was not possible, that he be assigned to William Thompson, a Brewer at Brickfield Hill (Jane’s brother).

On the 19th December 1826, he was assigned to William Thompson.

On the 20th June 1827 Thomas again petitions Governor Darling to allow him to marry Ann Hance (free – “Morley” 1820). He resides at Brickfield Hill.

With the consent of the Governor on the 6th August 1827, Thomas married Ann Hance (22 years). The witnesses were William Thompson (Jane’s brother) and Dulcibella Piper.

In late 1827 James (Thomas’s first son) must have died. No record has been found of his death. However his name never appears again.

On the 17th July 1828, Francis (a son) was born. At this time, Thomas gave his occupation as brewer residing in Campbell Street. He had no land or animals.
In the 1828 Census, John Kidling gave his occupation as a brewer and that he was employed by Thomas Buxton of Campbell Street, Sydney.

In the Sydney Gazette, Tuesday, 16th February 1830, there is a public notice, the events of which lead to Thomas’s death.
“In the Supreme Court.
Sherriff’s officer 12th February, 1830
Chisholm v Buckton
Wheeler v same
Cuthbert v same
Cooper v same

On Thursday next, 18th Instant, at One o’clock, on the Defendant’s Premises at the bottom of Brickfield-hill, the sheriff will cause to be sold, all rights, Title, Interest, and Estate of the Defendant in and to all those very valuable Allotments, on which are erected substantial Stores and Dwelling Houses:  and, unless sufficient be realized to satisfy these Executions, all Defendant’s Stock in Trade, Brewing Utensils and Household Furniture:  unless these Executions be previously satisfied.”

Thomas was desperately broke.

The sheriff’s officer had issued the notice on the Friday (12th February). Between 8 and 9 o’clock, that night Thomas had been confined in No5 Watchhouse for having in his possession a gold watch, identified to have been stolen.  “He was in a very unruly state, frequently calling out for drink; his intel’ects were indeed unsettled.”

He was allowed to walk the hall for the enjoyment of fresh air;  some short time after; the deceased, who had been supplied with some beer of his own brewing, became more infuriated, and his language becoming very outrageous, he was confined in a cell, where he died;”

He was found dead about 9 o’clock on the Sunday evening (14th February 1830).

Dr. Bland examined the body and was of the opinion, from the attested history of the case, that the deceased came by his death partly from the diseased state of his body, more particularly of the stomach, which is very frequently attended with a certain species of delirium, and partly from the extreme heat of the weather and closeness of air of the cell in which he was confined.
Verdict:  That the deceased died from suffocation, much accelerated by heat of weather, the closeness of the cell in which he was confined, and a predisposition of the state of body, arising out of a constant excess of drinking.

It was later noted that the watch had not been stolen.  On the 18th February in the Sydney Gazette it was reported that eighteen months earlier he had been worth 2000 pounds. His embarrassments are said to have arisen out of an unfortunate attachment.

Of the three surviving children, Thomas and Elizabeth went to live at Richmond with Caroline John (nee Thompson - Jane’s sister).  Francis went with Ann, his mother, to the Newcastle area. She later married Thomas Hardes.

All efforts to find Thomas Buckton in England have been fruitless. If anyone has the smallest piece of information about Thomas, it would be appreciated if they would contact George Buckton at
bucktongr@yahoo.com.au   or   PO Box 3076, Valentine, NSW, Australia.2280.

Compiled by:
George Buckton – July 2009
(Original compilation October 1986 - now revised)

CORONER’S INQUESTS. - Sydney Gazette Tuesday 16th February 1830.
A coroner’s inquest was held yesterday on the body of Thomas Buckton, lately a publican on the Brickfield Hill, who died suddenly in the watch-house, on the morning of the same day.
Some discussion ensued as to the right of a reporter to be present at the inquest, upon which we may perhaps offer a few observations in our next. At present we will merely state, that the Coroner having taken the sense of the Jury on the subject, the majority of them were in favour of the reporter’s admission, and he was admitted accordingly.
After the Jury had proceeded to the watch house, where the deceased lay, and viewed the body, the following evidence was taken:
Francis Satland, a constable in the Sydney Police, stated, that between 8 and 9 o’clock on Friday night last, the deceased was given in charge to the watch - house keeper ; he had been placed in charge for having had a gold watch in his possession, which was suspected to have been stolen. The man was in a very unruly state, frequently calling out for drink, his intellects were indeed unsettled. Mr. Jilks at this juncture happened to look into the watch house, and desired the subordinate constables to allow the man every liberty to walk the hall for the enjoyment of fresh air; some short time after, the deceased, who had been supplied with some beer of his own brewing, became more infuriated, and his language becoming very outrageous he was confined in a cell, where he died; it was in this situation that he was found by the Jury assembled by the inquest.
Doctor Bland examined the body of the deceased; was of opinion his death was brought about by suffocation, having been confined in a close cell. To a hearty man, Dr. Bland said, it was not probable death would have ensued. The deceased had led a very intemperate life.
Mr. Jilks said, that knowing the latter assertion to be a fact, he was induced to allow the man to have a glass or so of his own brewed beer, thinking it would be the means, in his depressed state of spirits, of keeping him alive.
The Coroner charged the jury.-He did not think there was any evidence to warrant the suppo - sition which had gone abroad, that the deceased had come by his death from poison. The jury had however seen the situation in which the deceased had been found, and it was for them to determine whether he had come to his death by fair or unfair means.
The jury returned a verdict that the deceased died from suffocation, much accelerated by the heat of the Weather, the closeness of the cell in which he was confined, and a predisposition of the state of the body, arising out of a constant excess of drinking
The jury then broke up.

Convict Changes History

Caylie Wigney (nee Buxton) on 15th April, 2012 made the following changes:

date of birth 1783-00-00, date of death 1830-02-14, gender m

This record was discovered and printed on ConvictRecords.com.au