Hi Guest!
Contribute to this record

John Dunn

** community contributed record **

Name, Aliases & Gender

Name: John Dunn
Aliases: John Dunne
Gender: m

Birth, Occupation & Death

Date of Birth: 1813
Occupation: Farmer
Date of Death: 1894
Age: 81 years

Life Span

Life span

Male median life span was 53 years*

* Median life span based on contributions

Conviction & Transportation

Sentence Severity

Sentence Severity

Sentenced to Life

Crime: House breaking
Convicted at: Ireland, Queen's County
Sentence term: Life
Ship: Royal Admiral
Departure date: 4th June, 1833
Arrival date: 26th October, 1833
Place of arrival New South Wales
Passenger manifest Travelled with 51 other convicts


Primary source: Irish convicts to NSW 1788-1849 by Peter Mayberry (members.pcug.org.au).
Source description:

Did you find the person you were looking for?

If John Dunn was the person you were looking for, you may be able to discover more about them by looking at our resources page.

If you have more hunting to do, try a new search or browse the convict records.

Know more about John Dunn?

Contribute to this record

Community Contributions

Robert MALONE on 28th October, 2019 wrote:

Born abt 1813 in Queens County (now County Laois), Ireland (from his death certificate).

The following is from - Irish convicts to NSW 1788-1849 by Peter Mayberry (members.pcug.org.au).

Surname: Dunne
First: John
Age: 20
Ship: Royal Admiral (2) from Ireland
Tried: 1832
Trial Place: Queens County
Term: Life
DoB: 1813
Native Place: Queens County
Crime: House Breaking
Marital Status: Single
Trade or Calling: Carman

Royal Admiral 1833
Embarked: 220 men
Voyage: 144 days
Deaths: 6
Surgeon’s Journal: yes

Master David Fotheringham.  Surgeon Superintendent Andrew Henderson
The Royal Admiral commenced fitting as a convict transport at Deptford on 29th March 1833. Surgeon Anderson joined the ship on the 3rd April and the Guard embarked on the 13th.
The Royal Admiral anchored in Kingston (Kingstown) Harbour having arrived from Deptford on the 9th May 1833. Catarrhal fever (influenza) had prevailed to a considerable extent among the prisoners on board the Essex hulk at Kingston harbour and it was considered inadvisable to embark prisoners before the 16th May. Due to the length of their confinement and indigestible and spare diet a great many of the men were in a debilitated state. However the vessel was delayed in the harbour until 4th June so the prisoners were kept on a full allowance of fresh meat and vegetables and meat and took on a more healthy aspect..
The Royal Admiral was the next vessel to depart Ireland with convicts for New South Wales after the departure of the Caroline in April 1833. The Royal Admiral departed Dublin on 4th June 1833.  The Guard consisted of Lieut. Ainslie, 21st regiment, and 21 rank and file of the 21st regiment. Passengers included Quarter Master Fairgrove 21st regiment, six women and 6 children.
Andrew Henderson kept a Medical and Surgical Journal from 3 April to 11 November 1833. (16 pages)
The prisoners continued well enough until 18th September when scurvy began to appear. The ship was at this time situated at Lat. 37° South and Long 69° ½ East.  The surgeon stated that “the prisoners had a sallow cast of countenance, and their faces seemed fatter than natural” and he “could perceive considerable rise of temperature in the affected part…, stiffness of the joints or limbs, general weakness and want of appetite” in a few days the disease became developed in a manner which could not be mistaken for any other disease, in which at first diffuse ecchymoma, then purple and ultimately of a jet black aspect sometimes attended with swelling and hardness. The surgeon pointed out the case of James Reily, that “the posterior part of the lower extremities was as black as tar… his countenance became bloated, swollen and sallow the eyes suffused and as yellow as in icterus or yellow fever”. On the treatment of the disease the surgeon tried the nitrate of potass dissolved in lemon juice and vinegar in a treatment of scurvy and a small doses of sulphate of magnesia given in a bitter infusion is preferred to any other purgative.
.Andrew Henderson was critical of the condition of the convicts when taken from the Hulks and stated to the agent for transports who was present at the muster on the Essex that he could not carry out 220 prisoners in such a debilitated state of health to Sydney without losing at least fifteen of them, in which the agent acknowledged he had never seen prisoners at any former muster look so bad. The surgeon stated his opinion that many of them were not fit when they embarked on board the Royal Admiral, however his view was over ruled by Dr Trevor Inspector of Prisons and Hulks in Ireland.
The Royal Admiral arrived at Port Jackson on 26 October 1833.

John married between 1834 and 1848 in Cooma, NSW to Elizabeth HEWITT (alias DAVIS?)
I have been unable to find a record of their marriage in NSW or Victoria.
The information on John and Eliza’s death certificates is at odds.
On John’s it has them marrying about 1834.
On Eliza’s it has them marrying in about 1848.

1842 – John’s Ticket of Leave issued in Queanbeyan, NSW. (NSW State Records).

1845 – John’s Pardon issued (exact date to be confirmed). (NSW State Records).

John died 22 July 1894 near Bombala, NSW. (jamesobrien.id.au).

Robert MALONE (email – robertmalone159@gmail.com)

Convict Changes History

Robert MALONE on 28th October, 2019 made the following changes:

convicted at, term: 99 years, voyage, source: Irish convicts to NSW 1788-1849 by Peter Mayberry (members.pcug.org.au). (prev. ), firstname: John, surname: Dunn, alias1: John Dunne, alias2: , alias3: , alias4: , date of birth: 1813, date of death: 1894, ge

This record was discovered and printed on ConvictRecords.com.au