Hi Guest!
Contribute to this record

William Harvey

** community contributed record **

Name, Aliases & Gender

Name: William Harvey
Aliases: none
Gender: m

Birth, Occupation & Death

Date of Birth: 1804
Occupation: Butcher
Date of Death: 16th December, 1835
Age: 31 years

Life Span

Life span

Male median life span was 54 years*

* Median life span based on contributions

Conviction & Transportation

Sentence Severity

Sentence Severity

Sentenced to 7 years

Crime: Stealing
Convicted at: Downpatrick/County Down/Meath
Sentence term: 7 years
Ship: Countess of Harcourt
Departure date: 14th February, 1827
Arrival date: 28th June, 1827
Place of arrival New South Wales
Passenger manifest Travelled with 46 other convicts


Primary source: New South Wales, Australia, Convict Indents, 1788-1842 Bound Indentures 1827
Source description:

Did you find the person you were looking for?

If William Harvey was the person you were looking for, you may be able to discover more about them by looking at our resources page.

If you have more hunting to do, try a new search or browse the convict records.

Know more about William Harvey?

Contribute to this record

Community Contributions

Tony Beale on 23rd December, 2020 wrote:

from Co Armagh Ireland. Single Catholic who could not read or write. Convicted of stealing oats 27/7/1826. 5’ 5 1/2”. Ruddy freckled complexion, light brown hair grey to hazel eyes. Assigned to J McHinny at Penrith. Notes: 3 years to Norfolk Island by general Sessions Penrith 2/11/1830 for assaulting a female child 7 years old with intent to violate her person.

New South Wales, Australia, Gaol Description and Entrance Books, 1818-1930 for William Harvey
Parramatta 10/8/1835 Sent to Sydney gaol following a trial with others for aggravated robbery with violence. note says executed 16/12/1835 See trove below

The Sydney Monitor (NSW : 1828 - 1838) View title info Wed 11 Nov 1835 Page 4

and 5th.—Before Mr. Justice BURTON, and a Civil Jury.
David Priston (free) and William Harvey, Thomas Higgins, Thomas Taylor, Lewis Wingfield, John Robinson, Richard Linch-Waterman and Thomas Wright, prisoners attached to No. 10 (Thorp’s) Road Party, stationed between the Junction and Bathurst, were charged with breaking and entering the dwelling-house of Thomas Barnes at Honeysuckle Flat, on the night of July 16th, and stealing therefrom Cheques &c., of the value of £40, and sundry wearing apparel, the prosecutor’s Wife, and a Mr. Toms being therein put in bodily fear. Mrs. Lydia Barnes deposed, that Priston was
employed by her husband to split shingles for him, and was aware that he (her husband) was from
home on the day previous to which the robbery
was committed. Late in the evening a traveller
named Toms stopped at the house and went to
bed ; in the course of the afternoon three or
four of the road party men came up to see Priston
who drew some money on account of his work and
treated them, after which, they all went away
together; about twelve o’clock at night she was
awakened by the barking of dogs and a knocking
at the door; she suspected that they wanted to
rob the place, and called Mr. Toms, thinking that
if they knew there was a man in the house they
would go away; Mr. Tom’s came into the room,
and immediately afterwards three men entered at
the window, one of whom struck her a violent
blow on the head which stunned her for a short
time; and another struck Mr. Toms who remained insensible a considerable time; when she
recovered, she saw Harvey and two others standing
opposite the window, Harvey lifted her up and
threw her on the bed and attempted to commit a
rape upon her ; the others asked her where she
kept the swag, she said in the box ; Harvey felt
underneath the pillow for more, finding none, he
said, ” I have a great mind to dispatch you at
once;” she replied, “don’t leave a small family
motherless, spare my life; I will never know you.”
They then took the box out into the verandah;
soon after they went away, Priston came to the
window and said; ” give me two or three bottles
of rum;” she replied, ” I cannot, but there’s the
keg, spare my life, take it and be off as soon as
possible.” Towards morning a military escort
came up with prisoners, to whom the circumstances of the robbery were detailed, ” and Mrs B. told
the corporal she was certain that she had seen
the men at Thorp’s, to whose gang the party then
John Garland, a servant to Barnes, deposed,
that about the middle of the night he was awakened by the barking of dogs, and when he got up he saw three men, of whom Harvey was one stand
ing near the gate, he came up to him with a pistol and said he would blow his brains out, if he did get into the stable, it was so dark that he could not distinguish the other men’s countenances, but one had on a red shirt and the other a grey jacket a fourth man was left outside the stable door to watch ; after the men were gone, he went to the house where he found Mrs. Barnes and Mr. Toms bleeding profusely, after he had dressed their wounds he went into the verandah and found the box broken open and nothing left but a pair or two of stockings. Upon the military leaving the house he proceeded with them to the camp, where he picked out Harvey, Berwick, Waterman and Robinson. In returning home he picked up two notes of hand which had been stolen from Barnes’, within fifty yards of the camp; recollected that Harvey and Waterman were two of the men who, were drinking with Priston in the house.
Michael Mullins, attached to Thorp’s gang was
next examined. He recollected that, on the day
before the robbery, Thorp sent him with Higgin’s
to No. 2 Stockade to see the Doctor, they (witness and Higgins) returned about six o’clock; a short time afterwards, Harvey, Wingfield, Berwick and Waterman came into the camp drunk, Harvey stripped to fight, he and two or three others fought up and down the camp for an hour or so About seven o’clock Harvey came into his hut
with three or four shillings in his hand ; about
eight o’clock he wanted to borrow my jacket;
soon afterwards Lynch, Taylor, Wright, Wing-
field, were in my hut, they were joined by Graham
and Priston, I asked where Harvey had gone to,
they said he was asleep; there were two men,
from No 2, Stockade in the camp that night.
- Berwick, watchman, at the camp, deposed,
that he saw the two men who had come from the
Stockade in or near the camp that night; they
were joined by four men from the camp on the
road leading to Barnes’; he saw one of the party
leave the “mob” and go into the bush, this made
him think all was not right, he was going to the
overseer to report that Taylor and Higgins had
absconded, when a strange man came up to him,
and, putting a pistol to his head, said he would
shoot him if he went to report any thing; Taylor
and Higgins absconded the next day; he heard
Taylor say he knew where Barnes’ things were
planted, and heard Higgins say he had chucked
a piece of French money which he had got from
Barnes’ in to the road.
Overseer Thorp, knew that Harvey and Wing-
field were absent on the 16th. He mustered the
men at eight and eleven as nigh as he could guess, he had no watch; he did not wake the men but counted them ; knew nothing of them from then
until the morning; in the interim they were in
charge of the watchman ; recollected the escort
taking away the four men, sent Wingfield with
them for having been absent.
The non-commissioned officer of the escort
corroborated the evidence relative to the taking of the prisoners, &c. Corporal Allen, 4th Regiment—Was at No. 2 Stockade when the prisoners were brought there; Harvey was one of them; knew Harvey at Norfolk Island about eighteen months ago ; Harvey when in the guardhouse confessed to witness that he was the man who broke into Mr. Barnes’ house, and knocked Mrs B down. The Crown Solicitor deposed, that the confessions which he then held in his hand, had been made by Taylor after he had been cautioned that any confession he might make would be used
against himself, as his evidence was not wanted ;
Taylor said he was induced to make it because
there were several men in custody who knew
nothing of the matter, and several who were concerned had not been apprehended. The three confessions, made at different times varied but little; they were in substance as follows :-On the return of Higgins from the junction, he told Taylor that a party of men from the junction were coming up for the purpose of robbing Mr. Barnes ; when they arrived, Taylor refused to accompany them, because he was known by Mrs. B; they said it was no matter they would give him the property
out of the window; the party consisted of Burns,
Higgins, Quigley, Gatley, Mullins, and Taylor;
Mullins had a pistol. Four of the party went to
the house, and the fifth remained at the stable, as detailed by Garland; Taylor remained in the verandah while the others got in at the window;
Higgins snapped the pistol at Toms, and Quigley
illused Mrs. Barnes; Gatley went back after the
The prisoners in their defence, had nothing but
a few remarks respecting each other and the junction men to make; and although they had
subpoenaed sixteen prisoners from road parties as
witnesses, who were all in attendance, only one
was called, and he was merely examined as to the
practice of the gang being allowed to work for
settlers in their own hours.
The Solicitor-General said, that there was one
man in attendance who had been down every Session for the last two years, Mr. Justice Burton stated, that he had before suggested a remedy for the evil, and the Solicitor General should have seen it carried into effect. His Honor then summed up at considerable length, and the Jury, after a few minutes absence, returned a verdict of Guilty against Priston, Harvey, Higgins,
and Taylor, and acquitted the other prisoners.
Mr. Justice Burton immediately passed sentence
of death upon the prisoners, and told them that
from the aggravated nature of their offence, he
could not hold out the slightest hopes of mercy,
especially to Harvey, who most assuredly would

The Sydney Herald (NSW : 1831 - 1842) View title info Thu 17 Dec 1835 Page 3

EXECUTION.-Yesterday morning, the utmost penalty of the law was carried into effect upon the person of William Harvey, who had been convicted at the last Criminal Sittings of the Supreme Court of a burglary in the dwelling house of Mrs.
Barnes, near Bathurst, attended with considerable violence. The prisoner had been respited for several days that the case might have the fullest investigation, but after the closest scrutiny no palliative circumstance could be discovered, which would have warranted the Executive in
mitigating his sentence. On opening the condemned cell in which he was confined, on Wednesday morning about five o’clock, he was discovered sitting in one corner ; some blood being observed on his trousers ho was examined, when it was found he had made an attempt to commit suicide,
by severing his wind-pipe with a piece of bone which he used to cat his homminy with ; he said that he had forced the bone into his throat, but when he came to the windpipe he thought better of it, and had ceased from the attempt ; he appeared
quite resigned, but maintained that he was innocent to the last moment. The Rev. Mr. M’Encroe attended the culprit.

The Australian (Sydney, NSW : 1824 - 1848) View title info Tue 22 Dec 1835 Page 2
William Harvey, who was lately, convicted of a burglary in the house of a Mrs. Barnes, expiated his offence on the scaffold last Wednesday morning. The prisoner had attempted to commit suicide in gaol the night previous, having sharpened the edge of the horn spoon with which he had been feeding, with which he cut a deep
gash of four inches in length in his neck; he however escaped the arteries. ’ Dr. Moncrief was called in and sowed up the wound -the unfortunate man was then led out to execution.

Convict Changes History

Tony Beale on 23rd December, 2020 made the following changes:

convicted at, term: 7 years, voyage, source: New South Wales, Australia, Convict Indents, 1788-1842 Bound Indentures 1827 (prev. ), firstname: William, surname: Harvey, alias1: , alias2: , alias3: , alias4: , date of birth: 1804, date of death: 16th Decem

This record was discovered and printed on ConvictRecords.com.au