Hi Guest!
Contribute to this record

Hugh Hastings

Hugh Hastings, one of 152 convicts transported on the Marquess of Hastings, 19 August 1825

Name, Aliases & Gender

Name: Hugh Hastings
Aliases: none
Gender: m

Birth, Occupation & Death

Date of Birth: 1797
Occupation: Sailor
Date of Death: 1832
Age: 35 years

Life Span

Life span

Male median life span was 51 years*

* Median life span based on contributions

Conviction & Transportation

Sentence Severity

Sentence Severity

Sentenced to Life

Crime: Mutiny
Convicted at: London Admiralty of England Oyer and Terminer and Gaol Delivery
Sentence term: Life
Ship: Marquis of Hastings
Departure date: 19th August, 1825
Arrival date: 3rd January, 1826
Place of arrival New South Wales
Passenger manifest Travelled with 152 other convicts


Primary source: Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 88, Class and Piece Number HO11/5, Page Number 298
Source description: This record is one of the entries in the British convict transportation registers 1787-1867 database compiled by State Library of Queensland from British Home Office (HO) records which are available on microfilm as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project.

Did you find the person you were looking for?

If Hugh Hastings was the person you were looking for, you may be able to discover more about them by looking at our resources page.

If you have more hunting to do, try a new search or browse the convict records.

Know more about Hugh Hastings?

Contribute to this record

Community Contributions

Maureen Withey on 21st December, 2019 wrote:

ADMIRALTY SESSIONS, Feb. 8. Hugh Hastings and Alexander Mahonu were charged with having on the February last, being then mariners on board the Havannah packet, piratically and feloniously conspired to carry off the said vessel. The charge was varied in three other accounts.  It appeared from the evidence of the first and second mate, and one of the mariners of the Havannah Packet, that the prisoners and the greater part of the rest of the crew being dissatisfied with their allowance on the voyage to the Havannah, became very unruly, disregarded the authority of the Captain, talked of bringing the guns (two 18- pounders) from the hold, and turning the vessel into a privateer, first throwing the officers overboard.  Much of this, however, seemed to the mere ebullition of discontent and intoxication, without any determination to put their threats into execution. The Captain and the Mates seized the two prisoners,  the most prominent of the rioters, and chained them to the deck, until they reached the Havannah ; where they were delivered over Spanish guard-ship, and afterwards conveyed to England. The others absconded on reaching the Havannah.—Mr. Brodrick on behalf of the prisoners, took an objection to the indictment, which the Court reserved for the opinion of the Judges.—The jury found the prisoners euiltv on two of the counts.—Lord Stowell respited the judgment until the point raised by Mr. Brodrick was decided.
Cambridge Chronicle, 11 Feb 1825.

Hugh Hastings, Marquis Hastings, London Ady. Court, 8 Feb 1825 Life, Sailor, RN. Colonial sentence, Paramtta Gen. Sess. 4 Apr 1827,  an incorrigible character, sentence, 3 years.  run, 16 Dec 1831.

Hugh Hastings was one of the ringleaders in the taking of the Caledonia, and he seems to me, to be a very nasty character!

Our readers are aware that the schooner Caledonia, from this port, was captured in December last, by prisoners at Moreton Bay, and had not been heard of for a considerable length of time. The vessel was carried to the Navigator’s Islands, where the commander, Mr. Browning, succeeded in effecting his escape from the pirates, and has arrived at Sydney by the American whaler Milo ; The following is Mr. B.‘s narrative of the piracy :— The schooner Caledonia of Sydney, on a voyage to Loo Island, for the purpose of procuring what was saved of the wreck of the ship America, purchased by the owner of the Caledonia, had occasion to put into Moreton Bay. About 36 hours after, at night, the schooner was boarded by 11 armed men, who immediately took possession of her, obliging the master to deliver up the whole of the arms he had on board, consisting of two muskets and two pistols. The master and part of the crew were then called on deck, and compelled to assist in getting the vessel under weigh ; after which the whole of the crew, with the exception of the master, were sent on shore in the pilot-boat, in which the pirates had come off. So well did the fellows lay their plans, that the watch on deck did not suspect anything till they were in the act of jumping on board. The crew, when they got ashore, of course gave the alarm, and two boats immediately put off in chase of the schooner, but were unable to come up with her. The master, having made several vain attempts to leave the vessel with the rest of the crew, was obliged to assist in navigating her, under a threat of having his brains blown out in case of a refusal.  Accordingly, under the direction of the pirates, he shaped his course for the Island of Rotumah, they assuring him that he should sustain no injury if he did not deceive them, but that upon the least appearance on his part of an attempt to betray them, he should instantly suffer death. The duties of first and second mate were discharged by two of the pirates, named Evans and Hastings. About a week after leaving Moreton Bay, the master was ordered by these two men and another named William Smith, to go aft and take the helm, when a man called John McDonald, one of the pirates, was called up, and immediately shot through the head by Evans. Another of the party, named William Vaughan, was then called up, fired at, and wounded by Hastings, and was then, after considerable struggling on his part, thrown overboard by the three principal actors in this bloody scene — namely Smith, Evans, and Hastings. Another of the party, named Connor, was next called up, and compelled to jump overboard ; and a man named John Smith, who was intended to share the same fate, was only spared after the most earnest entreaty.  Nothing particular occurred after this until the vessel made New Caledonia, for the purpose of procuring water. There she put into Port St. Vincent, and filled up the casks. The day before she again put to sea, Evans and Smith quarrelled with Hastings about some grog, in consequence of which, it was agreed that Hastings should be left behind, and he was accordingly put onshore. The vessel, in due course, made Rotumah, one of the New Hebrides; nothing particular happening in the mean time, except a repetition by Evans of the threat that the master should suffer instant death if he showed the least sign of an intention to betray them. At Rotumah a friendly chief, named Emery, came on board, but Mr. Browning was so narrowly watched, that it was impossible to communicate to him the circumstances under which he was placed. One of the party, called Harry, ran from the boat, and remained at Rotumah. After taking in two casks of water, the master was directed to make for Wallis’s Island, where he was told it was the intention of the pirates to land in the whale boat, and send him back in the vessel, together with, three Rotumah women, who had accompanied the party from that island : he was, however, subsequently informed by three of the men, that it was the intention of Evans to scuttle the schooner with him and the women on board. Two of the party, named Watson and Hogg, who, with John Smith, had behaved kindly to the master, declared to him their suspicions that it was the intention of Evans and others on board, to shoot them. The vessel missed Wallis’s Island, but made Footona, where some pigs and fruit were procured from the natives. On the 29th of Feb. she made Davi, where John Smith was landed, together with the three Rotumah women. Watson and Hogg also, acting under the dread of personal violence from Evans and the rest, got into a canoe, went on shore, and remained behind : the master, however, was still so closely watched, that an attempt at escape was impossible. The vessel then stood out to sea. Evans told the master that she was to be scuttled, and he expected nothing else but to go to the bottom with her.  When about 15 miles off the land, however, the master was called by the pirates to assist in packing up some things to put into the boat; and about 12 o’clock on the following day the vessel was scuttled, and the whole party got into the boat, and stood in for Toofoa, where Mr. Browning, and a man named Thomas Massey were taken by one chief, and Evans and Smith by another. The day after landing on this island, the other three men came down with a body of natives, and took away the boat. They also told Mr. Browning that he was in danger of his life, and wished him to go with them; but, being in possession of a musket, he declined doing so, expressing his intention, at the same time, to leave the island by the first vessel that touched there. After Mr. Browning had been on the island for eight days the barque Oldham came into the offing, and he went on board in a canoe.  He there learnt that a report prevailed of the Caledonia having foundered at sea. Mr. Browning was asked on board the Oldham, who was the master of the Caledonia. He, of course, stated that he was ; but upon the chief officer and some of the crew proceeding on shore, the pirate, Evans, told them he was the master. A suspicion, in consequence, arose, and an enquiry having been made among the natives, by means of an interpreter, Evans was immediately secured and put in irons. The other three men could not be discovered, being, doubtless, concealed by the natives ; but the boat which they took away was found at the place to which Mr. Browning learnt it had been taken. Such is this gentleman’s narrative of as an atrocious an act of piracy, accompanied by deliberate murder, as is to be found upon record. It is to be hoped that the remainder of the wretches who were engaged in it will yet be discovered by vessels trading among those islands pointed out by Mr. Browning.
Sydney Gazette, 17 May 1832.


Tony Beale on 29th December, 2020 wrote:

The Convict Pirates of Moreton Bay – the seizure of the Caledonia Schooner
For his first mate, Evans chose Hugh Hastings, who had come up to Moreton Bay with him on the Wellington. Hastings was 34, and a sailor from the Isle of Man who was transported for life in 1825, then to Moreton Bay by the bench at Parramatta for three years for being ‘an incorrigible character’. Evidently Hastings had been incorrigible at Moreton Bay too, because his initial three years had long expired.

Tony Beale on 29th December, 2020 wrote:

The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser (NSW : 1803 - 1842) View title info Thu 23 Feb 1832
Page 4 Hastings Hugh, Marquis Hastings, 36. Sailor, Isle of Man, 5 feet 7, blue eyes, dark brown hair, brown comp. from Moreton Bay. Under Colonial sentence.

Convict Changes History

Maureen Withey on 21st December, 2019 made the following changes:

gender: m

Tony Beale on 29th December, 2020 made the following changes:

date of birth: 1797 (prev. 0000), date of death: 1832 (prev. 0000), occupation, crime

This record was discovered and printed on ConvictRecords.com.au