Hi Guest!
Contribute to this record

Thomas Homer

Thomas Homer, one of 300 convicts transported on the Aurora, 03 July 1833

Name, Aliases & Gender

Name: Thomas Homer
Aliases: none
Gender: m

Birth, Occupation & Death

Date of Birth: 1813
Occupation: Gunsmith
Date of Death: 5th April, 1842
Age: 29 years

Life Span

Life span

Male median life span was 61 years*

* Median life span based on contributions

Conviction & Transportation

Sentence Severity

Sentence Severity

Sentenced to 14 years

Crime: Pocket picking
Convicted at: London Gaol Delivery
Sentence term: 14 years
Ship: Aurora
Departure date: 3rd July, 1833
Arrival date: 3rd November, 1833
Place of arrival New South Wales
Passenger manifest Travelled with 299 other convicts


Primary source: Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 90, Class and Piece Number HO11/9, Page Number 151 (77)
Source description: This record is one of the entries in the British convict transportation registers 1787-1867 database compiled by State Library of Queensland from British Home Office (HO) records which are available on microfilm as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project.

Did you find the person you were looking for?

If Thomas Homer was the person you were looking for, you may be able to discover more about them by looking at our resources page.

If you have more hunting to do, try a new search or browse the convict records.

Know more about Thomas Homer?

Contribute to this record

Community Contributions

D Wong on 12th June, 2016 wrote:

Old Bailey:
THOMAS HOMER, Theft > pocketpicking, 11th April 1833.

Offence: Theft > pocketpicking
Verdict: Guilty
Punishment: Transportation

THOMAS HOMER was indicted for stealing, on the 3rd of April, 1 handkerchief, value 3s., the goods of John Wippell, from his person.
JOHN WIPPELL. I am a coal-merchant, and live at Red Lion-wharf, Wapping. On the 3rd of April, between one and two o’clock, I was in Thames-street, just before the Custom-house; I thought I felt something at my pocket - I turned round, and the prisoner had got my handkerchief in his hands, doubling it up; he saw me, and dropped it - I followed him, calling Stop thief! and he was stopped on St. Dunstan’s-hill; it was safe not ten minutes before.
ROBERT HOWARD. I am an officer of Tower ward. - The prisoner was delivered to me with the handkerchief; I have had it ever since.(Property produced and sworn to.)

Prisoner’s Defence. The gentleman was on the other side of the way; I saw a boy attempt his pocket - I crossed, caught hold of the boy, and he threw the handkerchief at my feet, and ran away - I ran after him, and the gentleman took me.
MR. WIPPELL. It is utterly false - there was a boy near him, who went away; he did not state this then.
GUILTY . Aged 20. - Transported for 14 Years.

15/3/1842 The Australian:
Thomas Homer was placed at the bar, indicted for the wilful murder of James Stone, at New
England, on the 28th July, 1841, by shooting him in the thigh. The prisoner was overseer to Mr. Mann, of Sydney, on his station at New England.
It appeared that the prisoner went to Stone’s hut with a gun in his hand ; a few minutes after a
report was heard, and Mr. Stone was seen bleeding from the thigh; prisoner evinced sorrow for the act, and said the devil had tempted him to the deed. Some days after, he had said the gun went off by accident. A verdict of guilty of willful murder was returned, and sentence of death was passed on the prisoner, without any hope held out of mitigation.

11/4/1842 Sydney Herald:
ON Tuesday last, Thomas Horner, convicted before Mr. Justice Burton, of the murder of Mr. Stone, suffered the extreme penalty of the law at Newcastle gaol; he was attended, from the period of his receiving sentence up to the close, by the Rev. Mr. Wilton. On Mr. Keck reading the death warrant to him, on Sunday morning, he seemed resigned to his fate ; and on the evening previous to his execution, he acknowledged to his spiritual
adviser that he was guilty, and that the whole of the evidence adduced on his trial was correct, with the exception of that portion of it in which it was stated, that he had threatened to take Mr. Stone’s life for preventing him getting his ticket-of-leave. On the scaffold he seemed to feel his situation most deeply.
He thanked Mr. Field, the gaoler, for his great kindness to him during his imprisonment; he also thanked the chaplain for his attention to his spiritual welfare, and requested him to state to the people assembled at his execution, that he was guilty of the crime for which he was about to suffer, and to warn them against Sabbath-breaking and bad company, which were the sins which had brought him to an untimely end.
Mr. Field, and Mr, Wilton, the chaplain, remained with him the whole of the night previous to his execution; and it is gratifying to know that the culprit, even to the last, felt and expressed himself grateful to these two gentlemen for their unremitting kindness and attention to him. At a quarter-past nine o’clock the Deputy-Sheriff (Mr. Keck) gave the signal - the drop fell, and this world and its concerns closed on the culprit.
There was an immense concourse of persons assembled, and the ironed gang, from the adjoining stockade, were also ranged to witness the solemn sight, and it is to be hoped that the fate of this man may be a warning to them and others.

Convict Changes History

D Wong on 12th June, 2016 made the following changes:

date of birth: 1813 (prev. 0000), date of death: 5th April, 1842 (prev. 0000), gender: m, occupation, crime

This record was discovered and printed on ConvictRecords.com.au