Hi Guest!
Contribute to this record

Robert Hull

Robert Hull, one of 158 convicts transported on the Eliza, 25 June 1828

Name, Aliases & Gender

Name: Robert Hull
Aliases: none
Gender: m

Birth, Occupation & Death

Date of Birth: -
Occupation: Shoemaker
Date of Death: 22nd June, 1877
Age: -

Life Span

Life span

Male median life span was 60 years*

* Median life span based on contributions

Conviction & Transportation

Sentence Severity

Sentence Severity

Sentenced to Life

Crime: Manslaughter
Convicted at: Middlesex Gaol Delivery
Sentence term: Life
Ship: Eliza
Departure date: 25th June, 1828
Arrival date: 18th November, 1828
Place of arrival New South Wales
Passenger manifest Travelled with 157 other convicts


Primary source: Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 89, Class and Piece Number HO11/6, Page Number 424
Source description: This record is one of the entries in the British convict transportation registers 1787-1867 database compiled by State Library of Queensland from British Home Office (HO) records which are available on microfilm as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project.

Did you find the person you were looking for?

If Robert Hull was the person you were looking for, you may be able to discover more about them by looking at our resources page.

If you have more hunting to do, try a new search or browse the convict records.

Know more about Robert Hull?

Contribute to this record

Community Contributions

Greg Hull on 27th January, 2012 wrote:

Robert Hull came to Australia in 1828 aboard the ship "Eliza III" a convict. Robert was a shoemaker and was admitted to the Liverpool Mens Asylum 8/1/1877. He died 22/6/1877 and was buried in the Liverpool Cemetery 23/6/1877 with no headstone. Witness to burial was John Collyer.
Robert is buried in the Liverpool Pioneers’ Memorial Park which was the St. Lukes Churchyard. There is not a headstone in the cemetery. He was possibly buried as a pauper and if so your chances of locating the grave would be very difficult. It appears they married in what now known as Canberra (Queanbeyan). Had their first child here, then moved to Yass (2nd child) then back to coast line…Jervis Bay (3rd child here) Voyage date 25 Jun 1828 arrived in Sydney.

Title: Hull, Robert
Description: Robert Hull, one of 158 convicts transported on the Eliza, 25 June 1828
Sentence Details: Convicted at Middlesex Gaol Delivery for a term of life 10th April 1828. 
Vessel: Eliza (Ship)
Date of Departure: 25 June 1828
Place of Arrival: New South Wales

Eliza Arrived Sydney 18/11/1828 NSW Departed London 29/06/1828 142 Days 158 Embarked 150 Disembarked Master Wm Doutty Surgeon Jas Patton

Liverpool Asylum for the Infirm and Destitute (1862-1933) The information was from the Liverpool Asylum records, the information being given by the inmate at the time of admission.

Liverpool Asylum was originally established as a branch of the Sydney Benevolent Society in 1851. The Colonial Government took control of the Asylum in 1862. The Asylum provided refuge for infirm and destitute men. Those able to assist in the Asylum’s farm operations and workshop were paid a small daily wage. In 1933 the name changed to Liverpool State Hospital and Home. The institution closed in 1961.
The General Return of Convict 1837 lists a Robert Hull 36 yrs old, transported on the Eliza in 1828,assigned to George Thomas Palmer at Yass. Palmer was a retired lieutenant of the 61st Regiment of Foot, and had served in Egypt at the time of the battle of the Nile. His father, John Palmer, arrived in 1788 with Captain Phillip in the First Fleet, and was for many years Commissary of the Colony.

George Thomas Palmer acquired a large area at Ginninderra, and 2,000 acres at Jerrabombera, which had been promised to his father, were granted to him after his father’s death.

(Bruce Shepherd & Peter from Liverpool Geneology) 02 98219465

HULL, Robert….........EM 464955 Marriage
Spouse: MORRISON, Mary
Index Year: 1841
Reg Year: 1841
Reg State: New South Wales
Ref Number: V1841504 25C
Parish: Canbury(Almost Certainly Canberra);Lake George; Queanbeyan, Church of England

These are most likely some of their children.

HULL, John EB 983582 Christening
Father: Robert
Mother: Mary
Reg Year: 1842
Reg State: New South Wales
Ref Number: V18421992 155
Parish: Canbury(Almost Certainly Canberra);Lake George; Queanbeyan, Church of England

HULL, Daniel EB 983425 Christening
Father: Robert
Mother: Mary
Reg Year: 1844
Reg State: New South Wales
Ref Number: V18442217 28
Parish: Gundaroo; Gunning; Yass, Church of England

HULL, William EB 983691 Christening
Father: Robert
Mother: Mary
Reg Year: 1845
Reg State: New South Wales
Ref Number: V1845588 48
Parish: Jervis Bay; Shoalhaven (Co. St Vincent), Presbyterian

868.  CATHERINE DUMPHY and ROBERT HULL were indicted for stealing, on the 5th of April 1828 , 1 watch, value 30s.; 1 chain, value 1s. 6d.; 1 seal, value 1l.; 2 keys, value 6s.; 1 ring, value 2s.; 1 handkerchief, value 1s.; 1 umbrella, value 1s.; and 1 crown piece, the property of James Thompson , from his person .

JOHN THOMPSON. I keep a boarding-house for sailors, at Limehouse. On the 5th of April, about eight o’clock in the evening, I was in High Street, Shadwell, and was intoxicated; I saw two women walking very close after me. I went into a public-house, to take a glass of spirits, and one of the women said to the other. "You go on;" the other followed me into the house - I saw her at the bar, and when I came out she followed; the female prisoner looks very much like her; but I will not swear to her. I had a glass of gin at the bar; I walked on a little way, she followed me and ran past me, as if somebody was running after her - I had no suspicion of her; when I went into the public-house I am certain I had my watch in my fob; a handkerchief in my pocket; my umbrella in my hand; and nine or ten shillings in my trousers’ pocket, there was a crown piece among it. I walked on a little further, and was tripped up or slipped down; but believe I was tripped up - I fell right into the middle of the road the male prisoner directly picked me up. I cannot be positive whether I had my property safe then; he said,"Where are you going, you are in liquor; I will take you home; where do you live?" I told him where I lived. I did not see the female with him - he said, "You had better go into the public-house to wash yourself;" he took me to the Ship and Black Horse. I washed myself - I took my handkerchief out of my pocket and wiped myself; it was safe then, and I am certain I put it into my pocket - he called for rum and water, and gave me more drink; he paid for it; he took me out of the public-house and said he would see me home - I walked a little way, and then I thought I could see myself home; but he said, No; he would go with me to my own door - the Black Horse is about a quarter of an hour’s walk from my house. I lost my senses after I walked a little further, and do not know what happened after that. I cannot tell what he did with me - this was on Saturday, and on the Wednesday evening following, the officer came to my house, and brought my watch. Dumphy was then in custody, but not Hull; he was taken last Sunday. I saw him that evening in the watch-house; he was sitting down with several persons. I was not certain of him then, for he was so disfigured in his dress, and I did not take particular notice; but when I saw him at the Thames Police-office, I knew him directly - but he had a handkerchief tied round his head at the watch-house; my watch, with the seal and key, were produced at the office.

Cross-examined by MR. BARRY. Q. You did not know him at the watch-house, because his dress was disguised? A. I swear to his features; but at the watch-house he had a handkerchief tied round his head, which altered his appearance - he was sitting down with others, and I did not much notice him.

Q. You were pretty far gone when the woman followed you into the public-house? A. I had my recollection about me. I know the same woman followed me out, but will not swear it was the prisoner: she looks like the person. I had my property when I went into the house, I am certain; but whether I lost it before or after I was tripped up. I cannot say; but the handkerchief was safe after that. I do not know whether I slipped down, or was tripped up. I found myself at home - I laid abed all day on Sunday; a man, who lived in the house, had taken me home.

JOHN TRUSS . I am a costermonger, and live in Bluecoat-fields. On Saturday evening, about half-past seven o’clock, I was standing in High-street, Shadwell, with my cart, and saw the male prisoner with the prosecutor, who appeared very much in liquor - this was before he got to the Black Horse; I did not see them go in there - he was unable to walk, the prisoner had hold of his arm, to keep him up - the prisoner appeared sober; I lost sight of them by Shadwell-church. I did not see the woman at all.

RICHARD WILLIAM GREEN . I keep the Black Horse. The prosecutor came to my house, about a quarter-past eight o’clock, with a tall stout man. I will not undertake to say it was the prisoner; the prosecutor was covered with mud - he did not appear very tipsy; the man said, "Will you have the kindness to give my friend some water, for he has tumbled down;" he had the water - I left them immediately, and saw no more - I was absent for three or four minutes, and on my return he was gone; there was no women with them.

Cross-examined. Q. Did not the tall man appear to be acting kindly towards him? A. He appeared so.

JAMES TAYLOR . I am watchman of Shadwell. Last Tuesday week I went about a case of felony being committed in the house Dumphy lives in; and on Sunday, Hull came down the street, and I had him taken - he had a hat on, but nothing else about his head; I staid in the watch-house for a quarter of an hour, he had no handkerchief about his head then; he was in bed with Dumphy, when I went to her lodging.

BENJAMIN BLABEY . I am a Thames Police constable. I apprehended the female prisoner on the Sunday afternoon after the robbery. I had been to the house before, on that day, and then saw this watch on the mantelpiece; and in consequence of what I heard afterwards, I went back, and brought it away, there was a bed in the room - the prosecutor described the watch, and gave the number before he saw it - it has two keys, a seal, and ring to it - when I returned to the house, the watch had been moved; I asked her for it, and she gave it to me directly - she appeared to take it from the table behind her.(Property produced and sworn to.)

THOMAS HAYNES . I am a constable of Shadwell. I apprehended the male prisoner, and told him it was for stealing a watch; he said he knew nothing about it, and should like to knock my bloody head off. I had done nothing to offend him - I found some cups and balls on him, which, he told the Magistrate, he got his living by.

HULL’S Defence. I know nothing of the woman, and never was in the same room with her. I know nothing of the robbery.

HULL - GUILTY . Aged 31. Convicted 10th April 1828

Transported for Life .


Sydney Morning Herald 24/2/1847
CHARGE OF MURDER.-About four o’clock on Monday afternoon Constable Ross entered Trowler’s public-house, on the Brickfield-hill, and apprehended a man named Robert Hull on a charge of murder. Hull was yesterday remanded, in consequence of the charge pending against him being at present a matter connected with an adjourned inquest, which will be resumed today, at half past one, in Levy’s, "Red Cross," public-house, Lower George Street.

The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser Saturday 27th Feb 1847
COMMITTAL FOR MANSLAUGHTER.-Robert Hull, free by servitude, was yesterday afternoon forwarded to the Police Office by a Coroner’s jury, on a charge of manslaughter, by having ill-used his wife, Mary Hull, such an extent as to accelerate her death. Herald, Feb 25.

Before his Honor Mr. Justice Dickinson.
Robert Hull, late of Sydney, labourer, was indicted for having, at the Glebe, on the 3rd of February last, driven his wife, Mary Hull, while in a state of fever, into the open road, during inclement weather; whereby, as well from the effects of the weather as from the want of proper nourishment and attendance, the said Mary Hull, after languishing until the 16th day of the same month, expired. A second count of the information charged the prisoner with having assaulted his wife, by beating her with a whip and with his fists, thereby inflicting certain injuries, from the effects of which, coupled with her exposure to the weather, she subsequently lost her life.
The prisoner, who pleaded not guilty, was defended by Mr.Holroyd.
From the evidence of deceased’s sister, it appeared that on the day named in the information the deceased was confined to her bed from illness, when the prisoner told her with great roughness to get up and work like other women; she got up, but went to bed, again from debility after the prisoner went out. On his return she declared her inability to work, and the prisoner seizing a horse-whip struck her several blows with it. He then asked her for his certificate of freedom and his money, and when the deceased had told him where to find them, he told her that if she did not leave the house he would kick her out. She then went out to a neighbour’s house, but it appeared that she subsequently returned: for the brother of the deceased having had information of what was going on, came up and received the woman just as the prisoner was again turning her out. It was then about the middle of the late rains, and the brother removed the deceased in a cab to the residence of her sister in Clarence-street, from whence she was subsequently taken to his own residence in Brown Bear-Lane. On the latter occasion the weather was dry, and the deceased managed with her brother’s assistance to walk.
Two or three days after her arrival at this place she was seen by Dr. Mackellar, at which time she was in a fever, and in order that she might get better attendance he recommended her removal to the Infirmary. This was not done, but the deceased was attended by Mr Maberley, the surgeon of the institution. From the evidence of the medical witnesses it would appear that the fever must have existed at the time the prisoner turned his wife out of doors, and both of them were of opinion that such treatment would have aggravated the disease, but it might have proceeded solely from natural causes.
Mr. Holroyd addressed the Jury for the defence, contending that there was no evidence of ill-treatment beyond that of the deceased’s sister, who was probably strongly excited against the prisoner; and that the only reasonable presumption was, that death had been brought about either by natural causes, or by the subsequent removal of the deceased, while in a state of increased debility, from Clarence street to Brown Bear Lane.
His Honor briefly summed up, recapitulating the evidence, and pointing out to the Jury that it was open to them to find the prisoner guilty of a common assault if they should be of opinion that the death of the woman was not actually caused by his ill-treatment.
The Jury, after having retired for a few minutes, found the prisoner guilty of a common assault, and he was sentenced to two years imprisonment, with hard labour, in Sydney Gaol.

Karen White on 30th May, 2012 wrote:

Robert Hull was charged with the murder of his wife Mary Hull nee Morrison in Central Criminal Court, on 6 March 1847 before His Honor Mr Justice Dickinson.He served 2 years with hard labour in Sydney Gaol.

Convict Changes History

Greg Hull on 27th January, 2012 made the following changes:

date of death 1877-06-22, gender m

This record was discovered and printed on ConvictRecords.com.au