Hi Guest!
Contribute to this record

Elizabeth Jackson

** community contributed record **

Name, Aliases & Gender

Name: Elizabeth Jackson
Aliases: Evans
Gender: f

Birth, Occupation & Death

Date of Birth: 1771
Occupation: House duties
Date of Death: 1837
Age: 66 years

Life Span

Life span

Female median life span was 61 years*

* Median life span based on contributions

Conviction & Transportation

Sentence Severity

Sentence Severity

Sentenced to 7 years

Crime: Felony
Convicted at: Ireland, Dublin City
Sentence term: 7 years
Ship: Marquis Cornwallis
Departure date: 9th August, 1795
Arrival date: 11th February, 1796
Place of arrival New South Wales
Passenger manifest Travelled with 46 other convicts


Primary source: Ship was Marquis Cornwallis arrived Sydney 1801. Government list of convict ships. Inquest report on Richard Evans, State Records of NSW: Reel 6021; 4/1819 pp.193-198. Freemans Journal (Dublin), Saturday, June 21, 1794, p.4. State Library of NSW - Log book of Captain Michael Hogan, 'Marquis Cornwallis'.
Source description:

Did you find the person you were looking for?

If Elizabeth Jackson was the person you were looking for, you may be able to discover more about them by looking at our resources page.

If you have more hunting to do, try a new search or browse the convict records.

Know more about Elizabeth Jackson?

Contribute to this record

Community Contributions

Ron Selden on 27th February, 2015 wrote:

Elizabeth married another convict Richard Evans who was killed in 1812. Elizabeth died on the 16-11-1837 in the Windsor Poor House.

D Wong on 27th February, 2015 wrote:

Elizabeth was 25 years old on arrival, and was sent to Norfolk Island.

John Arndell 1772-1807 (not listed as a convict) and Elizabeth did not marry but had a relationship in common law.  They had 1 son, Samuel 1796-1876.  John went to Norfolk Island aboard the ship ‘Supply’ as an assistant to the surgeon on 23 March 1796 and returned to Sydney aboard ‘Francis’ on 9 Jul 1796. His whereabouts after his return to NSW remain unclear, but it seems he returned to England and married.

Elizabeth then married Richard Evans who was a private in the NSW Corps and became a sergeant who arrived aboard the ship ‘Active” 1791.  He was not a Convict.  He then became a settler down river from the Arndells. He was illiterate.  They had two children, George Evans 1803—, and Mary Evans 1806-1859.  There is also some speculation of a third child, Robert Jackson Arndell.

The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser of 9 January 1813 reported:
‘An account has been received of the murder on Friday night of Evans, a settler at or near Portland Head, and formerly a sergeant in the New South Wales Corps, now the 102d Regiment. The perpetration of the horrible offence is attributed to several natives, said to belong to the Lower Branch; but whether this supposition be accurate or not we have no present information.’

Robin Sharkey on 19th April, 2019 wrote:


Quoted From the website of Barry Corr “Nangarrra”
“Pondering the Abyss: History and the Hawkesbury - Part 7, 1813 - 1831.”

“Richard Evans had been a serjeant in the NSW Corp and received a 150 acre grant in 1804 at the bend of what was then Sawyers and Boston Reaches and is now called Cambridge and Cumberland Reaches.

“He had formed a liaison with, or married Elizabeth Jackson, who had been married to or connected with John, eldest son of Thomas Arndell. John Arndell had drowned in 1805.

“One of Elizabeth’s sons, known variously as Samuel Evans and also as Samuel Arndell, had been promised land at the Branch, possibly the 30 acres which later became China Farm. The killing took place on this Branch farm [owned by Samuel Arndell Evans] on the night of 31st December 1812.

” ... The [Branch] farm produced pigs, poultry, wheat and corn. There was a hut on the farm. The farm obviously required regular attention. It was not like some where a crop was sown and then left till harvest. Despite hiding articles such as blankets to prevent them being stolen, relations between Aboriginal people and settlers appeared good. An Aboriginal man [Dick Coohairy] had helped Richard Evans plant corn that day. Richard was apparently comfortable to spend the night alone with six Aboriginal people. What caused his killing is not clear.  Dick Coohairy, an Aboriginal man [had been] prepared to go [in a boat back to Richard’s farm, at Sawyer’s Reach] with Angelo Ferugo, a Maltese assigned servant, until [Coohairy’s] sister told him to stay because they [the Aborigines] had a long way to go, suggesting that there was no premeditation [for the murder]. Evans’ body was not mutilated, suggesting that his killing was not motivated by revenge.”

Barry Corr’s transcription of the Inquest held on the body of Richard Evans:
Original document at State Records of NSW: Reel 6021; 4/1819 pp.193-198

An Inquest taken at Sawyers Reach in the said County the 3rd day of January 1813. Upon the view of the body of Richard Evans then and there lying dead before Thomas Hobby Gentleman. Coroner and the jurors following. –
John Campbell - foreman   Michael Lamb,
William Field       William Hubbard
William Knight     Charles Walker
Cyrus Doyle       Benjamin Singleton
John Dyke       John Hanson
William Leach     Thomas Riley

“Angelo Ferugo A Maltee sworn:
– Was at his master’s son’s farm at the Branch on Thursday last 31st [December 1812].
And was requested by his master to go to his own farm at Sawyers Reach for some seed Corn (a distance of about 7 miles) his master desired him first to get his dinner which he did; there were at the time 6 Natives on the farm 3 men named, Guttermutting, Munningjoy, and Dick Coohairy, and 3 women - Mary-Ann belonging to Gunnermutting, and Yaring belonging to Coohairy, the other he does not know her name. When at Dinner his master gave Dick Coohairy something to eat as he had been planting corn for him. He then got ready the boat and Dick – Coohairy and himself got into it, he proposing to go with Deponent to his masters farm for the corn; On Dick - Coohairys sister (Mary Ann) calling to him he objected going with Deponent saying he had a long way to go with her and the other natives. Deponents master then desired him to go by himself with the boat and to return in the morning, took the boat by himself to his Masters farm and remained there all night Started the following morning before sunrise In the event Ferugo went on his own in the boat to Sawyers Reach, stayed there the night and returned the following morning starting before sun rise with the seed corn and deceaseds son Saml. Evans. Both on foot and when opposite the farm which he had left his master at called, on receiving no answer both swam over Depondent taking part of the corn on his head and leaving other articles behind them intending to fetch them over at low water which they could then do without swimming. On reaching the opposite shore they searched but could not find the deceased, but apprehending no harm they ground some wheat and had some breakfast, then going to search for his blanket (as they knew where he usually hid it for fear of it being stolen by the natives) they found his body, quite naked and covered with some bush and grass, his blanket and all the other articles they usually hid were gone and some of the poultry. Both swam back immediately and informed Deponents mistress at the farm at Sawyers Reach, she called on some neighbours who fetched him to his own farm.

“Quest’n. by the jury:  “Did you not find the house in that manner as to give you reason to think somewhat particular had happened?”
“Answer. “Did not take any notice till he had had his breakfast, then he went to look for the blanket as before mentioned”
(Signd) Angelo X Ferugo

“Samuel Evans (a boy about 14 years of age, son of the deceased) stated that the last witness came home on Thursday night last and on the following morning before sun rise, went with him, called when opposite the farm and receiving no answer both swam over went to the hut and called but received no answer, observed the straw in the hut which they lay upon tossed much, the meal sieve out of its usual place and the knives missing, but considering his father was looking after the pigs, clearing corn or doing something or other they got their breakfast went then to the place where his father usually hid the blanket (at the instance of Angelo) where he found his father lying dead, strip’d naked covered with bush and grass, both swam back and informed his mother who sent some neighbours for the body
(signed)  Samuel X Evans”

“Andrew Doyle Sworn on Fryday 1st Inst was informed by the first witness, John Campbell & others, of the death of Evans and went at their request to learn what particulars they could on the road (taken) took some natives with them to the place where the deceased lay and from the blows on the head considered he had been beat by an axe or a tomihawk; on account of the distance being so great and no person on the farm they thought it prudent to bring the body to his own house; on asking the natives what they thought of it they said they thought it was done by Natives and on their names being mentioned that were left with the Deceased they promised to bring them in dead or alive the place the body was found in was an aperture among the rocks about four rods from the hut.
(Signed Andw Doyle)

“Mr Surgeon Mileham states he examined the scull of the deceased and found it fractured in several places but from the very putric state cannot say by what means
(Signed) James Mileham”

“Verdict Wilful murder against aforesaid Natives - .
(woman name unknown)
Dick Coohairy
Yaring “

Robin Sharkey on 19th April, 2019 wrote:


Elizabeth Jackson’s trial in Dublin in June 1794 was for stealing clothing.  Amusingly, the evidence indicates that the man she stole the clothes from was sleeping with his landlady, Mary Conolly. 


Freemans Journal (Dublin), Saturday, June 21, 1794, p.4.
“Quarter Sessions
“Trial before William Walker Esq, Recorder of the city of Dublin, on Saturday last [i.e. 14 June 1794].
    “Elizabeth Jackson was indicted for feloniously taking one coat, value 3 shilling, one waistcoat, value 1 s, and one pair of breeches value 1 s, the property of James Gallagher.
      “James Gallagher swore he lodged at no 46 Mary’s Lane and that the articles mentioned in the indictment were taken from his lodgings in May last [i.e. May 1794], that he missed them about half after five in the morning, that on going to bed he left them on a chair by the bedside; that the prisoner was taken about nine the same morning with the clothes in her custody; that the door of the room where he lay was locked when he went to bed, but that his landlady lay in the same room and got up before him and on going out left the door open; that he fell asleep and the prisoner, having access to a lodger in the house, must then have taken them.
“Mary Conolly, who lived in the same house as the prosecutor, was next sworn: she said that on the prosecutor missing the clothes she went downstairs and into the street and alarmed the neighbours, and told them of the robbery; that one of her neighbours mentioned to her that the prisoner was seen about the house in the morning, and as she visited some person in the house, advised hr to go there and look for her; that she accordingly did, and found the prisoner there with the clothes in her apron, that the clothes were worth more than 3 shillings.
“The Recorder charged the Jury, and after stating the evidence informed them that he was of opinion that the evidence supported the offence stated in the indictment, if they believed what the witnesses produced on the part of the prosecution [missing text] the prisoner guilty. The Jury accordingly found the prisoner Guilty and as the offence was grand larceny, the court sentenced her to transportation for seven years.”

Lodged in jail with Elizabeth at the same time was Ann Daly, charged with stealing money, who was tried at the same Quarter sessions, given the same 7 year sentence as Elizabeth, and sailed on the same ship, Marquis Cornwallis (her crime is reported on at the same newspaper page as Elizabeth’s).


Although on arrival Elizabeth was recorded on a list of 31 women being sent direct to the Female Factory at Parramatta upon disembarkation on 12 February 1796 (per log book of ship’s Captain, Michael Hogan), nevertheless Elizabeth is one of the seven women from that ship’s list whose names do not appear in the Female Factory Records.

After her arrival she was forwarded to Norfolk Island, as were several of the women convicts arriving then, including her Dublin jail-mate, Ann Daly. It is very likely they were sent to Norfolk Island on the “Supply” departing Sydney on 23 March 1796, as this was the next ship for N.I after the arrival of the Marquis Cornwallis.

Robin Sharkey on 19th April, 2019 wrote:


Elizabeth Jackson reputedly had a relationship with John Arndell, who was aged 24 in 1796, which resulted in the birth of Samuel Arndell at Norfolk Island, apparently in 1796. The child, Samuel, was always named ‘Arndell’, including when he was given a land grant by Governor Macquarie in 1811 while still a teenager, on his marriage (incorrectly recorded as “Arundell”), and on a criminal court charge in 1829 etc. Samuel’s 1874 death certificate (NSWBDM 8372/1874 indexed as “Arnold”) states his death date as 14 January 1874, aged 77 years, mother Elizabeth, father’s name as “John ARNOLD, occupation: ‘unknown’”. Assuming that he would have turned 78 years of age later during 1874, Samuel would have been born in 1796.

Who was John Arndell, the reputed father of her child Samuel? He was born in London in 1772 to Dr. Thomas Arndell, and his first wife Susanna.

When John was fourteen, his father Dr Thomas Arndell in 1786 accepted a commission to be an assistant surgeon at NSW (anticipating the departure in 1787), and he sailed with the First Fleet, arriving in NSW in 1788, leaving behind his wife and family. Arndell family researchers have found that Thomas Arndell also had a daughter with an Italian woman in London in 1781, when his wife was pregnant with another daughter, and went off to India in September 1781 as surgeon on an East India ship, avoiding the contortions of his family life.  Although he had returned to his wife by 1784 — a daughter was born January 1786 — his sailing for NSW extracted him permanently from a messy private life. Dr Arndell stayed on in the colony after arrival, but consistent with past behaviour, took up with convict woman Elizabeth Burleigh, and the first of eight children they would have together was baptised in 1790. In 1792, he resigned his commission, received a £50 annual pension and started farming a land grant at the Cattai, which he expanded over the years, although he also did take on other medical work such as at Parramatta Hospital in 1798.

Back in London, his son John had undertaken his own medical training and eventually, when a young man, followed his father to NSW, departing England in August 1795 on the convict ship “Marquis Cornwallis”, and arriving at Sydney in February 1796. This was the ship on which Elizabeth Jackson was transported to NSW. It is possible they met on board ship, or at least noticed each other.

Almost immediately on arrival in NSW, John took up the position of assistant to the surgeon on Norfolk Island, leaving Sydney on 23 March 1796 on the “Supply” (evidence per victualling lists).  Again, this is likely to have been the ship on which Elizabeth and six other women from “Marquis Cornwallis” were transferred to Norfolk Island. John Arndell stayed on Norfolk Island only for 3 and a half months until 9 Jul 1796. The birth of son Samuel in 1796 is consistent with this time line.

There are no records for John Arndell after 1796. Without actual direct documentary evidence the assumption by family researchers is that he drowned at the Hawkesbury in the early 1800’s, or even that he returned to England.


(2) ROBERT - Elizabeth’s next child born was Robert, who was also sometimes recorded as “Arndell”, as though he were the son of John. His age in the 1828 Census is given as “30”, giving a birth year of 1798 (or 1797 if he were still to turn 31 in 1828). Robert is otherwise recorded as Robert Evans, the son of Elizabeth’s de facto Richard Evans. A formalised land grant of 1833 has an each-way bet naming him as “Arndell or Evans” but in 1828 he called himself Robert EVANS.

(3) GEORGE – Birth year unclear. Either 1801 (he reported at 1822 muster as being 21 years old) or 1803 (reported at 1828 Census as being 25 years old). George was always known as EVANS, so was child of Richard Evans and Elizabeth.

(4) MARY – born 23 June 1806, at Caddie, to Elizabeth and Richard Evans, Mary wasn’t baptised until 1817 at Windor’s Anglican St Matthew’s Church, when she was nearly eleven. She married on 10 June 1822 (aged 16?) to Thomas Huxlet, a Windsor-born in the colony to convicts. Mary and Thomas has twelve children, one of whim (Martha) married her first cousin, Samuel Arndell junior.

Life for Elizabeth from 1813 would have been difficult. Her daughter Mary was a young girl of about 7 years, George only about 12 (or perhaps less), Robert about 15 and Samuel 16 to 17.

In 1828 She lived with her son George and his partner Ruth, and their baby son Martha. A girl aged 14, Margaret Evans, lived with them; it is unstated whose daughter she is - (perhaps a daughter of Elizabeth’s with a different father but named Evans, or a daughter of one of her sons). Elizabeth’s daughter Mrs Mary Huxley was living at the Lower Branch of the Hawkesbury and already had four children.

Her son Samuel, with common law wife Elizabeth Dring, had six children and was a miller to Mr Dixon at Darling Harbour. In 1829 he would be sentenced to 3 years’ working on the roads for his involvement in a theft at a bonded store where he worked (Sydney Gazette 24 Sept 1829, p3 and 6 Oct 1829). In August 1831, Samuel re-asserted (y newspaper notice) his right to his 30 acre grant of land on the Upper Branch of the Hawkesbury, saying he held peaceable possession of it and that Richard Ridge (who was his immediate neighbour there) had no right to it. Therefore, he seems to have got out of his sentence after two years. He married his de facto wife, Elizabeth Dring, after thirty years, in 1847. As late as 1864 (per SMH) Samuel Arndell was a farmer residing on his land on the Hawkesbury at Lower Portland Head.

In these circumstances, Elizabeth did not have a wealthy family to assist her. Dr Thomas Arndell , further up the river at Cattai, was the grandfather of her son Samuel, but he died in 1821 leaving a large family of his own and a widow. Whether Dr Arndell ever had contact with Samuel until his death is not recorded in public documents.

At some point in the decade after 1828, Elizabeth Evans was admitted into the home for the Poor, run by the Benevolent Society at Windsor. There she died, noted as a pauper on the death register of St Matthew’s Anglican Church Windsor, where she was buried on 16 November 1837, recorded as aged 78 — although she had been recorded only as 57 in 1828, making her about 30 years old in 1800.

Robin Sharkey on 19th April, 2019 wrote:

Correction - IN 1828 Elizabeth Evans lived wth her son George at Portalnd Head, his partner Ruth Evans (“or Hayman”) and their bay son “RICHARD” aged 5 months, as well as Margaret Evans aged 14, parentage not stated.

Robin Sharkey on 21st April, 2019 wrote:

CORRECTION - Son Samuel was NOT the miller to Mr Dixon at Darling Harbour and did NOT commit a theft in a bonded store in 1829 with a 3 year sentence. That person was a different Samuel “Arundell” who arrived as a convict in 1823 on convict transport ship “Princess Royal”.

Convict Changes History

Ron Selden on 27th February, 2015 made the following changes:

convicted at, term: 7 years, voyage, source: Ship was Marquis Cornwallis arrived Sydney 1801. Government list of convict ships (prev. ), firstname: Elizabeth, surname: Jackson, alias1: , alias2: , alias3: , alias4: , date of birth: 1771, date of death: 18

D Wong on 27th February, 2015 made the following changes:

convicted at, voyage

Robin Sharkey on 19th April, 2019 made the following changes:

source: Ship was Marquis Cornwallis arrived Sydney 1801. Government list of convict ships. Inquest report on Richard Evans, State Records of NSW: Reel 6021; 4/1819 pp.193-198 (prev. Ship was Marquis Cornwallis arrived Sydney 1801. Government list of conv

Robin Sharkey on 19th April, 2019 made the following changes:

source: Ship was Marquis Cornwallis arrived Sydney 1801. Government list of convict ships. Inquest report on Richard Evans, State Records of NSW: Reel 6021; 4/1819 pp.193-198. Freemans Journal (Dublin), Saturday, June 21, 1794, p.4. State Library of

This record was discovered and printed on ConvictRecords.com.au