Hi Guest!
Contribute to this record

Morgan Kelly

** community contributed record **

Name, Aliases & Gender

Name: Morgan Kelly
Aliases: none
Gender: m

Birth, Occupation & Death

Date of Birth: 1788
Occupation: Carpenter
Date of Death: 1842
Age: 54 years

Life Span

Life span

Male median life span was 53 years*

* Median life span based on contributions

Conviction & Transportation

Sentence Severity

Sentence Severity

Sentenced to 7 years

Crime: Felony
Convicted at: Dublin City
Sentence term: 7 years
Ship: Chapman
Departure date: 25th March, 1817
Arrival date: 26th July, 1817
Place of arrival New South Wales
Passenger manifest Travelled with 86 other convicts


Primary source: Convict ships to NSW, Australian Royalty, The 'Chapman' Mutiny NSW, Australia Convict Ship Muster Rolls and Related Records, 1790-1849; 1817 Chapman Ireland, Prison Registers, 1790-1924; Dublin, Kilmainham 1815-1910
Source description:

Did you find the person you were looking for?

If Morgan Kelly was the person you were looking for, you may be able to discover more about them by looking at our resources page.

If you have more hunting to do, try a new search or browse the convict records.

Know more about Morgan Kelly?

Contribute to this record

Community Contributions

Phil Hands on 20th March, 2017 wrote:

At the age of 28 and working as a carpenter, he was tried and convicted in Dublin City in 1816, sentenced to transportation for 7 years.
Left Cork on 14th March 1817.
Ship:- the ‘Chapman’ sailed with 200 male convicts on board of which 14 died during the voyage.
Arrived on 26th Jul 1817.
Morgan was described on the ship’s indent papers as 5ft 71/2” ,dark pale
complexion, brown hair and hazel eyes.

The ‘Chapman’ embarked 198 convicts at Cork. Those put aboard from the brig
‘Atlas’ were described as turbulent, desperate and a dangerous set of men.
While still anchored in the Cape of Cork, Drake the ship’s Commander permitted no
more than 12 convicts to be on deck at one time and after she sailed on March
14 1817 he continued to enforce this regulation. All convicts were to remain
in irons.
Rumors of a mutiny were in the air from the day they sailed. March 22
10pm the first alarm was raised. It was reported that an attempt was made to pick
the locks on the prison doors. Four days later an informer disclosed that a
plot was afoot to seize the ship and carry her to America. Drake at once
ordered the chain-cable to be passed over the fore-and-aft hatchways for greater
security and that all firearms were to be brought up from below.
Throughout the day of April 17 the atmosphere aboard was tense with a
brooding expectancy. Suddenly at 8pm that night cries were raised that all the
prisoners were breaking out. No attempt was made to verify the truth instead
Drake and the rest of his officers jumped at once to the conclusion that the
long-expected mutiny had begun.
Without a moments delay, the loopholes in the prison bulkheads
were manned and a general indiscriminate fire was opened on the unfortunate
convicts. The firing lasting for thirty-to -forty minutes.
The moans of the wounded convicts could be plainly heard, but no attempt
was made that night to visit the prisoners. Next morning when the prison door
was at last opened it was found that 3 convicts had been killed and 22
The alleged ringleaders were severely flogged and an uneasy peace settled
on the ‘Chapman’. It was broken 11 days later by a further alarm. Firing
broke out again, this time 1 more convict was killed and 4 other wounded.
In the punishment of the convicts Drake was merciless. Floggings were
most severe and the confinement in the prison rigorous. A chain cable was carried
along the prison and passed through the convict’s irons. Up to 100 men were
fastened to it throughout the night, indeed frequently they were also shackled
to it as well for 14 to 15 hour stretches during which time it was impossible
for them to rest.
This treatment continued until the ‘Chapman’ arrived in Port Jackson on
July 26 1817. There had been 14 deaths amongst the prisoners, 5 killed outright
during the firings, 7 died from wounds and 2 had succumbed to dysentery.
Although the surviving convicts were all suffering from starvation and the effects
of close confinement only 10 required hospital treatment, 5 of those also
still suffering from gunshot wounds.
The Court of Inquiry made an immediate investigation. Drake, 1 Officer
and 2 of his soldiers were arrested and ordered home to England for trial. The
accused were tried at the Old Bailey on January 11th 1819, all were acquitted.

Two years after arriving in the colony Morgan found himself apprehended and confined to HM Goal Parramatta on 12th April 1819. His crime was ‘Neglect of Work’. He spent one night in Goal and was discharged with reprimand to the Lumber Yard.

Married convict Mary English (‘Catherine’ 1814) in abt 1821, they had 2 children.

On January 26th 1822 Morgan appeared before the bench of Magistrates in Parramatta Charged with ‘Ill-usage of his wife’, she appearing before the bench covered with blood. Morgan was found guilty, received 50 lashes and was put on a bond. He then returned to his employer, Mr. Watkins.

In 1827 Morgan found himself before the Bench of Magistrates again charged with assault. The following is an account of the incident.
Morgan Kelly - free, brought up by warrant and charged with assault.
Cumberland New South: Wales

John Attwood District Constable of Cabramatta this day appears before us Maketh oath and saith. That hearing a great noise last night he observed the persons namely, Morgan Kelly and Mary Francis coming towards his house. Kelly having hold of the female dragging her by her hood and kicking her. Who daimed the protection of this Deponent- that dept in the protection of this execution of his duty by endeavoring to keep the peace was punch, abused and threatened by the said Morgan Kelly who shook his fist in Deponents face saying he would settle, him-The depont. Therefore prays the protection of the court from the violent assault in the execution of his dutyJohn Attwood District Constable of Cabramatta being duly sworn and his deposition of date the 11th of December inst. Being read over which he confirms in the presence of the prisoner. And adds that the prisoner not only assaulted and threatened deponent as stated therein. But also threatened deponent’s wife and on deponent desiring him to go peaceably away or he would put a pair of handcuffs on him. The prisoner then immediately threatened and said he would within a week make deponent in such a way a condition as he would not be able to put a pair of handcuffs on for at least a month on any person and clenched his hand and threatening position and paid that he would have satisfaction if it should cost him his life.
Sworn before us at the courthouse
Liverpool 15th day of dec. 1827
John Atwood
To wit The Jurors of our Sovereign Lord the King upon their Oath present that Morgan Kelly late of Cabramatta in the Colony of New South Wales, labourer on the Tenth Day of December in the year of Our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Twenty-seven with force and Arms at Cabramatta aforesaid in the Colony aforesaid in and upon one John Atwood then being District Constable of Cabramatta aforesaid in the peace of God and our said Lord the King and in the due execution of his said office, then and there also being did make an assault and him, the said John Atwood - then and there, did beat, bruise, wound and ill treat and him the said John Atwood in the due execution of his said office unlawfully and forcibly did hinder, oppose and obstruct and others wrongs to him the said John Atwood then and there did to the great Damage of the said John Atwood on and against the peace of our said Lord the King his Crown and Dignity.
The Jury finding Morgan Kelly guilty of assault

It is not know what punishment Morgan received for this crime.

By 1828 a census was held for the entire Colony. Morgan & Mary are recorded as Landholders in Bringelly with 2 children.

Morgan died in 1842 at the age of 42.
His death was registered at the General Hospital in Sydney; he was buried on the 21st July at St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney.
After the death of her Morgan, Mary travelled south to the Monaro district to be with her children Ellen & James.
Mary Kelly died On November the 5th 1856 at Adaminaby.
Cause of Death: Supposed Old Age—aged 76 years
Burial: November 09, 1856, Cooma Cemetery NSW
Informant on Death certificate : Joseph Chalker, stockman of Adaminaby.
Joseph also acted as Undertaker.
Witnesses at burial: James Hain & Robert Gillan.

Dianne Jones on 16th January, 2021 wrote:

A bit more about Morgan Kelly to add to the previous research by Phil:

TRIED: August 6, 1816 and found guilty of “felony of brass pans and other property” (see NSW, Australia Convict Ship Muster Rolls and Related Records, 1790-1849; 1817 Chapman).

He started his 7 years in Newgate prison. On September 21, 1816 he was transferred to Kilmainham Gaol (prisoner #2881) before being “sent aboard the convict ship” on December 19 (that is, the date of his discharge from Kilmainham jail). Source: Ireland, Prison Registers, 1790-1924; Dublin, Kilmainham 1815-1910.

Convict Changes History

Phil Hands on 20th March, 2017 made the following changes:

convicted at, term: 7 years, voyage, source: Convict ships to NSW, Australian Royalty, The 'Chapman' Mutiny (prev. ), firstname: Morgan, surname: Kelly, alias1: , alias2: , alias3: , alias4: , date of birth: 1788, date of death: 1842, gender: m, occupatio

Dianne Jones on 16th January, 2021 made the following changes:


Dianne Jones on 16th January, 2021 made the following changes:

source: Convict ships to NSW, Australian Royalty, The 'Chapman' Mutiny NSW, Australia Convict Ship Muster Rolls and Related Records, 1790-1849; 1817 Chapman Ireland, Prison Registers, 1790-1924; Dublin, Kilmainham 1815-1910 (prev. Convict ships to NSW,

This record was discovered and printed on ConvictRecords.com.au