Hi Guest!
Contribute to this record

Timothy Quinn

Timothy Quin, one of 278 convicts transported on the Admiral Gambier and Eolus [Aeolus], July 1808

Name, Aliases & Gender

Name: Timothy Quinn
Aliases: none
Gender: m

Birth, Occupation & Death

Date of Birth: 1784
Occupation: -
Date of Death: 25th October, 1839
Age: 55 years

Life Span

Life span

Male median life span was 54 years*

* Median life span based on contributions

Conviction & Transportation

Sentence Severity

Sentence Severity

Sentenced to 7 years

Crime: Breaking and entering and stealing
Convicted at: Middlesex Gaol Delivery
Sentence term: 7 years
Ship: Admiral Gambier and Aeolus
Departure date: July, 1808
Arrival date: 20th December, 1808
Place of arrival New South Wales
Passenger manifest Travelled with 279 other convicts


Primary source: Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 87, Class and Piece Number HO11/1, Page Number 411 (205)
Source description: This record is one of the entries in the British convict transportation registers 1787-1867 database compiled by State Library of Queensland from British Home Office (HO) records which are available on microfilm as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project.

Did you find the person you were looking for?

If Timothy Quinn was the person you were looking for, you may be able to discover more about them by looking at our resources page.

If you have more hunting to do, try a new search or browse the convict records.

Know more about Timothy Quinn?

Contribute to this record

Community Contributions

Phil Hands on 5th July, 2017 wrote:

Tried and convicted at the Old Bailey on 18th February 1807 for breaking and entering and theft, sentenced to death, on 13th May 1807 this was later commuted to transportation for 7 years, Timothy spent time in Newgate Prison until on 8th September 1807 he was transfered to the hulks moored at Langstone Harbour, near Plymouth.
Left England on 2nd July 1808.
Ship:- the ‘Admiral Gambier’ sailed with 200 male convicts on board of which 3 died during the voyage.
Arrived on 20th December 1808.

Old Bailey Trial Transcription.
Reference Number: t18070218-4

174. PATRICK HIGGINS and TIMOTHY QUIN were indicted for burglariously breaking and entering the dwelling house of Michael Macgee , about the hour of twelve at night on the 24th of January , with intent to steal, and burglariously stealing therein a gold ring, value 4 s. four gowns, value 3 l. two cloaks, value 1 l. two petticoats, value 12 s. a pair of mits, value 1 s. a pair of gloves, value 2 d. and 27 l. 2 s. 6 d. the property of Michael Macghee .
The case was stated by Mr. Knapp.
MICHAEL MACGHEE . I live in George alley, Field lane .
Mr. Knapp. Do you keep a house there. - A. Yes, I let out part of it, I lived in the lower room.
Q. Do you know the prisoners at the bar. - A. Yes, one of them lodged in the upper part of the house.
Q. Was your room broke open on Saturday the 24th of January. - A. It was. I come home from pay-table about eight o’clock, I gave my wages to my wife and had my supper; two of the men came and asked me to go and have a pot of porter.
Q. What time did you go to the public house. - A. About nine o’clock, I suppose it was.
Q. Did you leave your door locked. - A. Yes; I was not hardly in the public house when she came along with me.
Q. Was the door fastened before she left the house. A. I heard her lock the door, and I walked on before.
Q. What time did you return again. - A. About half past twelve o’clock.
Q. Was it dark. - A. Yes, it was.
Q. Did you and your wife return together. - A. Yes, and my brother in law was along with me when I returned with them; as soon as I came to the door my wife says, my door is broken open.
Q. Did you see that the door was broken open. - A. Yes, the lock was forced and bent. As soon as we went in I got a light, my wife came in, I told her to make haste and make the bed; as soon as she got a light she saw that her box was gone.
Q. Do you know any thing more of it yourself. - A. My wife kept the key of that box.
Cross-examined by Mr. Gurney. Where is this house of yours. - A. George alley, Field lane.
Q. What parish is that in. - A. St. Andrew , Shoe lane. That part of Field lane is in Middlesex.
MRS. MACGHEE. - Mr. Knapp. You are the wife of the last witness. - A. Yes.
Q. Did you go with your husband after you locked the door. - A. Yes.
Q. You returned with him. - A. Yes. When I returned I missed the box directly; I got a light; it contained twenty five guineas and a half, and a seven shilling piece; there were four gowns, two petticoats, two handkerchiefs, and a pair of mittens, and some small things that I did not make mention of. I had the key of that box in my pocket; the box and all was gone.
Q. Have you seen any of these articles since. - A. Yes, the officer has got them.
Q. Higgins lodged in this house of yours. - A. Yes, six months; he came in the same night this happened, about one o’clock in the morning; he made a piece of work about a watch that I had keeping for him.
Q. Was that watch in the box. - A. It was.
Q. Has that watch been found since. - A. Yes, the officer has it.
Cross-examined by Mr. Gurney. Higgins slept in your house that night. - A. Yes.
Q. He was in your house the next day. - A. Yes.
Q. He was apprehended in your house. - A. He was.
Q. So that he did not run away. - A. He did not, he remained in my house till such times as he was taken in custody.
JOHN LYONS . - Mr. Knapp. You lodge in the house of Macghee. - A. Yes, I lodge in the one pair of stairs room over Mr. Macghee’s room.
Q. On the Saturday night that this house was broken open, did you see either or both of the prisoners. A. They came both in my room at twelve o’clock at night.
Q. Had you heard them in the house before. - A. I had not; the child had heard them in the house before.
Q. Had you seen them before that evening. - A. No, I had not, the child in the house had.
JONATHAN TROTT . - Mr. Knapp. You are one of the officers of Hatton garden office. - A. I am. - On the 25th of January I received information of this robbery. In the evening, in company with Chapman, I went to the prosecutor’s house, where I understood the prisoner Higgins lodged, and where I saw the last witness, Lyons, he lodged there likewise. I found the prisoner Higgins laying in the bed, apparently intoxicated, he appeared to be so more than he was; we took him in custody on suspicion of the robbery, which he denied; we questioned him after that about the other prisoner Quin; he acknowledged that he had been drinking with him, but that he knew nothing of the robbery whatsoever. He was taken before the magistrate the next morning, and committed for re-examination till we found Quin. On the 31st of January, I received information that Quin was at work in Apollo gardens, in Surrey; we took Quin there. When I went up to him I asked him if his name was not Timothy Quin, he said no, it was not; I told him I was an officer, I had come to take him in custody on suspicion of house breaking. As soon as he saw my brother officer, Chapman, and the prosecutor, (the prosecutor had concealed himself) I said, do you know that man that is coming here, he says yes, he knows my name is Quin. I then searched in his pocket book; I found this duplicate of a watch pledged at T. Melton’s, Westminster Bridge road, for eight shillings, in the name of Thomas Gibbons . I made enquiry there and found the watch, in consequence of that ticket; this is the watch I now produce. After that we brought him away; coming along he denied any knowledge whatever of the robbery, except of saying that Patrick Higgins gave it him to pledge. Afterwards he acknowledged where the clothes were, they were at his lodgings somewhere near Vauxhall gardens; he was some time hesitating where his lodgings was, at last he recollected, he said it was No. 2, White Lion court, where I went on Sunday morning; when I went in the house I saw nobody below, I walked up stairs very gently, I went into a room where a man and a woman were talking; I found these things sewed up in a bed, they have been in my possession ever since. After the prisoner was put to the bar for final examination, Higgins said the other prisoner had made a piece of hemp for them, if I would go along with him to the back of Hearn’s house, (he keeps a public house near to where the prosecutor lives), he would shew me where he had burried the money in a dirt heap.
Q. Had you made him any promise. - A. None at all; he said it at the bar, he called me to him and told me I went with him and Chapman the officer, he told me. where to dig with my cane, and there I found twenty one guineas and a half, two seven shillings pieces, and a gold ring.
Cross-examined by Mr. Bolland. You found Higgins in bed at this house. - A. I did.
Q. He denied committing this robbery. - A. Yes.
Q. Did not he say as Quin had made a piece of hemp for himself, he would tell you where the money was. - A. No, he did not.
WILLIAM CHAPMAN. - Mr. Knapp. We need not go through all that Trott has told us, tell us whether you heard Quin say any thing or what. - A. When I had Quin in the public house after we had taken him; Trott wanted to go somewhere, he left him with me, Quin said it is bad company that has brought me to it, what have I to say, I shall say when I came before the court, I shall not say any thing more.
Q.(to prosecutrix) Look at these articles, and look at the ring first. - A. That is mine.
Q. Look at the watch, was that the watch that you had to keep for Higgins. - A. Yes, it belongs to Higgins all these articles, I have seen them; that is a ribbon that is mine, they are all mine.
Q. Was the money in a glove. - A. It was in a glove, but this is not the glove; it is all my property, there is a good deal more missing.
The prisoners said nothing in their defence, nor called any witnesses to character.
QUIN, GUILTY - DEATH , aged 23.
First Middlesex jury, before Mr. Justice Heath.

On 8th September 1807: Timothy Quinn was removed from Newgate Prison to the hulks at Langstone Harbour, near Plymouth, Hampshire. Under ‘Report of the Convicts under sentence of transportation removed from sundry gaols by command of His Majesty on Board the Fortune and Hospital Hulks in Langston harbour commencing 1st of April 1801 is the following entry: ‘Received twenty prisoners from the King’s Gaol of Newgate 8th September 1807’ Timothy Quin, 23, Felony, Middlesex 18th February 1807, BS 7, Admiral Gambier.
On 21st July 1808: The ‘Admiral Gambier’ departed England. It travelled in a convoy to Madeira, and from there it sailed to Rio where it arrived on the 8th September. On 6th October it departed Rio for New South Wales.
On 20th December 1808: The ‘Admiral Gambier’ arrived in Sydney with 197 male convicts. The ‘Sydney Gazette’ gives the date of arrival as Wednesday, 21st December, and notes that the convicts were landed the following day ‘in good health and spirit’.
Quinn’s brief conviction details appeared in an index of convict transports.
On 28th January 1810: A list of absconded prisoners appeared in the ‘Sydney Gazette’. Timothy Quin was listed among those ‘absent since middle of last December’.
On 4th July 1812: In a letter to the Secretary’s Office, Sydney, dated 4th Jul 1812, permission was given to Timothy Quin to proceed to Port Dalrymple as part of a group of four convicts assigned to Mr James Cox, who was to depart shortly after that for his new grant in the neighbourhood of Port Dalrymple. Cox was to provide his convicts with supplies for the voyage. In the ‘Sydney Gazette’ on 11th and 18th July 1812, James Cox requested that any claims be settled with him before he leaves Sydney for Port Dalrymple. James Cox built Clarendon House, Tas.
On 4th July 1812: Timothy Quin sailed to Port Dalrymple on the Colonial Schooner ‘Unity’. Details of Quin: Timothy Quin, Admiral Gambier (1st), Old Bailey, London, 18th February 1807, 7 years. On the way to Port Dalrymple, the Unity stopped for two days at Twofold Bay. A hunting party of four landed and proceeded to a lagoon where they were attacked by ‘several hundreds of natives’. They protected themselves with a boat they had carried to the lagoon, and all four men returned safely to the ship. The Unity arrived back in Sydney on 13th Sep 1812 and this incident was reported in the ‘Sydney Gazette’ on 19 September.
In 1816 Timothy Quinn is listed as ‘settler’ with one female crown servant (presumably Rachael Wright) and one child. The child is listed as the child of the crown servant. In the remarks column the following note has been made: ‘by Major Stewarts orders’. Major Stewart was commandant at Port Dalrymple.
Census circa 1822: Education census: Timothy Quin, two daughters, 5 and 6 years. In the remarks column the following appeared: ‘3 miles from Launceston. Cannot afford to pay for schooling’. The ages are inconsistent.
Census in 1827: Listed under females with a father living in Launceston. Jane Quin, father: Timothy Quin, 12 years, indifferent character, not at school, cannot read or write, not Roman Catholic. Her entry is marked with an *, meaning ‘To these subjects the benevolence of Government need not at present be extended’.
On 29th April 1831: A list of indulgences from convicts includes a request from Timothy Quinn, free, for his wife to be released from the Female House of Correction (Female Factory) and to be assigned to him. There is no reply in the column giving the Governor’s answers to indulgences.
Timothy Quin died on Friday, 25th October 1839 at Launceston, Van Diemens Land. Age: 60 years.

Convict Changes History

Phil Hands on 5th July, 2017 made the following changes:

surname: Quinn (prev. Quin), date of birth: 1784 (prev. 0000), date of death: 25th October, 1839 (prev. 0000), gender: m, crime

This record was discovered and printed on ConvictRecords.com.au