Hi Guest!
Contribute to this record

William Rice

William Rice, one of 138 convicts transported on the Lady Ridley, 04 January 1821

Name, Aliases & Gender

Name: William Rice
Aliases: none
Gender: m

Birth, Occupation & Death

Date of Birth: 1780
Occupation: Cordwainer
Date of Death: 1853
Age: 73 years

Life Span

Life span

Male median life span was 53 years*

* Median life span based on contributions

Conviction & Transportation

Sentence Severity

Sentence Severity

Sentenced to Life

Crime: High treason
Convicted at: York Gaol Delivery
Sentence term: Life
Ship: Lady Ridley
Departure date: 4th January, 1821
Arrival date: 27th June, 1821
Place of arrival Van Diemen's Land
Passenger manifest Travelled with 137 other convicts


Primary source: Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 88, Class and Piece Number HO11/4, Page Number 7 (5)
Source description: This record is one of the entries in the British convict transportation registers 1787-1867 database compiled by State Library of Queensland from British Home Office (HO) records which are available on microfilm as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project.

Did you find the person you were looking for?

If William Rice was the person you were looking for, you may be able to discover more about them by looking at our resources page.

If you have more hunting to do, try a new search or browse the convict records.

Know more about William Rice?

Contribute to this record

Community Contributions

Maureen Withey on 3rd February, 2020 wrote:

William Rice was charged with High Treason for taking part in the Yorkshire West Riding Revolt of 1820.

The Yorkshire West Riding Revolt of April 1820 was an uprising planned by working class radicals. It is thought to have been associated with Scottish uprisings, and occurred just as those arrested in the Peterloo Massacre and other reform demonstrations of 1819 were coming to trial. The desire for universal suffrage, annual elections and an end to the Corn Laws were the main motivation for radicals.

On 1 April, about 2,000 armed men approached the town of Huddersfield from four directions, with the intention of taking the town from the garrison stationed there. About 400 men within Huddersfield itself were part of the plan. However, for some reason the plan was aborted, the insurgents withdrew and returned to their homes and only four men were arrested, after the event.
On the evening of 11 April, a group of from 300 to 500 men from Barnsley and the nearby villages of Dodworth and Monk Bretton marched to Grange Moore, near Huddersfield. They believed that they were part of a rising postponed from 1 April and that they would meet with other groups and take Huddersfield. They carried arms and provisions, marched to a drum beat and carried political banners which they had used in meetings in 1819. On arriving at Grange Moore, they found that only about 20 men from Huddersfield had come to join them, and that the other towns had not mobilised. Most fled, and when the military arrived to confront them, they arrested a small group who did not resist.
In Sheffield, a simultaneous event did take place, although as on 1 April, a planned attack on a barracks was apparently aborted. About 200 armed men assembled, marched, split into two groups then reassembled in the Haymarket. They chanted ‘ Hunt and Liberty’, ‘The Revolution, the Revolution’ and ‘All in the Mind for the Barracks’. Their leader, John Blackwell, symbolically fired off a pistol, but this was the only shot fired. The men simply dispersed.
At Halifax, as in Sheffield, there was a meeting of men who chanted loudly and fired off a rocket, before dispersing.
At Mirfield and Dewsbury there were general strikes.
On 12 April at Wigan in Lancashire, about 300 men assembled, thinking they were to be part of a general rising, but as in Grange Moore, dispersed in confusion.
Four men were prosecuted as a result of the events on 1 April. John Peacock and John Lindley were transported to Van Diemen’s Land and Nathaniel Buckely and Thomas Blackburn served two years imprisonment before being pardoned.
Twenty two men were prosecuted for High Treason as a result of the events of 12 April at Grange Moore. They admitted their actions and entered a group plea of guilty, relying on William Comstive, their leader, to be their spokesman. They were sentenced to death but recommended for mercy and the sentences were commuted to imprisonment or transportation to Van Diemen’s Land.
Eleven of the 22 were told they would be deported to Van Dieman’s Land – the Australian penal colony which was later renamed Tasmania, while the rest were sent to the ‘hulks’ (prison ships). John Burkinshaw and his brother George Burkinshaw were among those charged with high treason. One pleaded guilty, the rest including John and George pleaded not guilty. The penalty if the charge was proved was death, however they were told if they changed their plea to guilty, they would be spared. The guilty plea was subsequently entered and the death sentence was replaced with transportation – 11 of them, including John, for life and the remainder, including George, for 14 years. The ‘lifers’ were sent to Van Dieman’s Land.
Eleven arrived in 1820 on the ‘Lady Ridley’ and a twelfth transportee, Michael Downing, arrived on the ‘Phoenix’ in 1822.
Source: Wikipedia.

Convict Changes History

Peter on 10th August, 2014 made the following changes:

term: 99 years (prev. 7 years), date of birth: 1780 (prev. 0000), date of death: 1853 (prev. 0000), gender: m, occupation, crime

This record was discovered and printed on ConvictRecords.com.au