Hi Guest!
Contribute to this record

Michael Spence

Michael Spence, one of 230 convicts transported on the Asia, 04 February 1833

Name, Aliases & Gender

Name: Michael Spence
Aliases: none
Gender: m

Birth, Occupation & Death

Date of Birth: -
Occupation: -
Date of Death: -
Age: -

Life Span

Life span

Male median life span was 60 years*

* Median life span based on contributions

Conviction & Transportation

Sentence Severity

Sentence Severity

Sentenced to 7 years

Crime: Bigamy
Convicted at: Surrey. Southwark Quarter Session
Sentence term: 7 years
Ship: Asia 1
Departure date: 4th February, 1833
Arrival date: 27th June, 1833
Place of arrival New South Wales
Passenger manifest Travelled with 230 other convicts


Primary source: Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 90, Class and Piece Number HO11/9, Page Number 18
Source description: This record is one of the entries in the British convict transportation registers 1787-1867 database compiled by State Library of Queensland from British Home Office (HO) records which are available on microfilm as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project.

Did you find the person you were looking for?

If Michael Spence was the person you were looking for, you may be able to discover more about them by looking at our resources page.

If you have more hunting to do, try a new search or browse the convict records.

Know more about Michael Spence?

Contribute to this record

Community Contributions

Julie Reynolds on 20th November, 2016 wrote:

Information comes from London Standard 19 September 1832, covering the original examination.

TOWN-HALL.—Michael Spence, a young man of fashionable appearance, was yesterday charged with intermarrying with Anne March, his first wife, Mary Slater, being alive.

Anne March, an interesting young woman, with a child in her arms, stated that she met the prisoner in the month of July, 1831, which subsequently led to their marriage at St. Andrew’s, Holborn, on the 19th of November, in the same year; the child in her arms was the issue of that marriage. She had received information that the prisoner had been married to another woman, by whome he had a family, and he frequently absented himself. She eventually ascertained that the prisoner had been married in the year 1827 to his first wife, Mary Slater.

Elizabeth Anne March, the sister of the last witness, stated that the prisoner and her sister were married at the time stated by the prosecutrix. The witness recognized the prisoner as the party who intermarried with her sister.

Mary Ann Slater, the first wife, stated that she was married to the prisoner on the 13th of March, in the year 1827, at St. Bride’s Church, Fleet street. The prisoner represented himself as a clerk to a merchant in the city. Three children were the issue of that marriage.

Mr. Alderman Ansley.—Well, what have you to say to this charge?

Prisoner.—I have nothing to say beyond this – that my first wife was with child when I married her, and so was my second. They were with child by me before I married either of them, and from threats I married them.

Alderman.—I shall reman you until Thursday to prove the marriages.

Prisoner.—Why not commit me at once?

Alderman.—I must act upon the law laid down, which requires the production of the certificates, as also evidence of identity. You must therefore be remanded until Thursday next.

The prisoner was then removed.

Death of Mr. M Spence, of Port Macquarie. (Port Macquarie News, April 18)

We have this week the mournful task of chronicling the death of one of the oldest residents of Port Macquarie [Note: only 77], namely Michael Spence, Esq., J.P., who expired suddenly at his residence on the morning of Wednesday last. Mr. Spence had been complaining of a light cold previous to the hour of his death, but nothing of a serious nature was apprehended until about 8 o’clock on Wednesday morning, when Mrs. Spence, the wife of the deceased gentlemen, found him lying upon his face in the back premises. His two sons were then speedily summoned, and Mr. Spence was removed two his bed where he remained sensible up to the last moment of his life. He expressed himself as having no pain, and Dr. Cortis arrived in time to examine him alive ; but very soon after the doctor’s arrival Mr. Spence breathed his last. His last words were addressed to his son, who was present, and these were ” Willie, Willie, I am going.” Mr. Spence was in his 77th year when he died, and he had resided in Port Macquarie about 52 years. Deceased was born in Perth, Scotland, and had spent some of his early years in England, previous to his arrival in Australia. His sister was the wife of the late celebrated war correspondent, Cameron, of the London Standard, killed in the Soudan ; and his family connexions in the old country were of a superior class. [Note: to be discussed below] Mr. Spence will be very much missed by a large class of people in Port Macquarie, who were benefitted by his experience, advice, and shrewd intelligence in many ways. He had taken an active part in public affairs during the whole period of his residence in the town, and was for many years, and up to the last decade, its postmaster. There were few matters of public interest in the locality that did not receive the attention of Mr. Spence, and he was always energetic and persistent in anything he took in hand. We learn that Dr. Cortis certified to the cause of death as being apoplexy ; but Dr. Casement, who examined the body after death, was of the opinion that death resulted from old age and the regular wearing out of the springs of life. The deceased had a strong constitution, was strictly temperate, and never suffered from serious illness. He passed away without a struggle.

Convict Changes History

Julie Reynolds on 20th November, 2016 made the following changes:

gender: m, crime

This record was discovered and printed on ConvictRecords.com.au