Hi Guest!
Contribute to this record

Charles Daly

** community contributed record **

Name, Aliases & Gender

Name: Charles Daly
Aliases: none
Gender: m

Birth, Occupation & Death

Date of Birth: 1800
Occupation: Servant
Date of Death: 3rd July, 1841
Age: 41 years

Life Span

Life span

Male median life span was 51 years*

* Median life span based on contributions

Conviction & Transportation

Sentence Severity

Sentence Severity

Sentenced to 7 years

Crime: Stealing
Convicted at: Dublin City
Sentence term: 7 years
Ship: Chapman
Departure date: 25th March, 1817
Arrival date: 26th July, 1817
Place of arrival New South Wales
Passenger manifest Travelled with 201 other convicts


Primary source: New South Wales, Australia, Convict Death Register, 1826-1879
Source description:

Did you find the person you were looking for?

If Charles Daly was the person you were looking for, you may be able to discover more about them by looking at our resources page.

If you have more hunting to do, try a new search or browse the convict records.

Know more about Charles Daly?

Contribute to this record

Community Contributions

Tony Beale on 8th August, 2021 wrote:

Charles Daly died at Norfolk Island age 41 on 3/7/1841

Tony Beale on 8th August, 2021 wrote:

New South Wales, Australia, Convict Records, 1810-1891 for Charles Daly 11/11/1822 1 year sentence at Port Macquarie

New South Wales, Australia, Convict Records, 1810-1891 for Charles Daley Carters Barracks House of Correction 1826. Shows original sentence - 7yrs, colonial sentence - life in chains, original sentence - not known, colonial sentence - piracy Brig Wellington, no of years on Norfolk Island 7 years 4 months, no of times tried at N I - 11

New South Wales, Australia, Gaol Description and Entrance Books, 1818-1930 for Charles Daily
Sydney 1825-1832
19/2/1827 Charles daily a prisoner tried at Sydney Central Court for piracy. Guilty. Described as a bad character.

This man was part of a group who hijacked the Brig Wellington while on its way back to Norfolk Island where he was sentenced to life in chains.

The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser (NSW : 1803 - 1842) Fri 16 Feb 1827
Page 2
Since Saturday, we have succeeded in obtaining further interesting, and more authentic
particulars than we were then able to elicit
in the hurry of the moment. Captain Duke, of whom we cannot speak too highly, nor His Majesty’s Government think too favourably, has obliged us with the perusal of the Ship’s log, from which we shall make copious extracts. However, before they are presented to our Readers, we must make a few preliminary remarks. We think that the conduct of those, on board the brig, was not altogether free from censure. The voyage across is but short—the prisoners on board were known to be dangerous and desperate offenders; and, abstractedly considered, no one can blame men for exercising desperate efforts to escape the horrors of the Southern hell to which most of them were eternally banished—and, on such accounts, the Captain, officers, and especially the military guard, should have been doubly and trebly vigilant, and that out of regard for their own lives, if actuated by no other principle; but still we do not take upon ourselves to charge any party with remissness of duty; because, the
most careful and attentive are often surprised
by the collective wisdom of experienced desperadoes. The day on which they were to
have made Norfolk Island, was the time fixed for carrying into effect that plan which had
been contrived, by Walton, and others, on board the hulk. At noon, the Captain was employed in taking “sight.” Two soldiers were parading the deck ; Walton was sitting either on, or contiguous to, the bowsprit; the troops were in the fore-scuttle; six prisoners were on deck ; the serjeant went below with a view of allowing a fresh party of the prisoners to take their turn on deck ; no sooner did Walton observe all things were so far favourable, than the signal was given—the sentinels on deck were secured, and deprived of their arms; the Captain was made prisoner; the hatch of the fore-scuttle, in which the military were all pent up, was closed, in the act of doing which one of the prisoners was wounded in the shoulder, as the soldiers immediately commenced firing ; the sailors were in like manner secured, by being forced into the prison hold, at the same time that Walton and his party, liberated their fellow prisoners from confinement ; the vessel was immediately in a state of confusion; in the
cabin Mr. Buchanan seized a brace of pistols, and was in the act of discharging them, when he was knocked senseless by the butt end of a musket; in less than one minute, the pirates had complete possession of the vessel. Walton took upon himself the command—another of the name of Douglas was appointed chief mate—Edwards, alias Flash Jack, became second mate, and Clay contented himself with the mere stewardship. No violence was offered to any one on board after the capture. We had nearly
forgotten to mention that the soldiers kept firing away through the bulk-head into the
hold, until they understood that the crew were in danger of being shot. The military were divested of their accoutrements and red coats, in which the pirates became dressed, and, in less than a quarter of an hour, the serjeant had the mortification to behold all his stripes decorating one of the pirates who lorded it away at a great rate. For the sake of justice to those concerned, and we hope it will prove effectual in inclining His Excellency the Governor to extend mercy on so extraordinary an occasion, we think it necessary to state, that a number of the prisoners, among whom, it is said, was Anthony Best, actually refused to share in the honours of the day, and, on that account, were kept confined with the crew in the hold, and of course had to endure none of
the best of treatment for acting in the laudable way they did ; and we have little doubt, therefore, that their case, if our information be correct, will meet with compassionate consideration. Being short of water, and in want of a nautical almanack, and a chart, they resolved on making for New Zealand, with the view of obtaining, by fair or foul means, those requisites from any whaler that might be in the way, as their ultimate destination was South America. Walton had his fears about making New Zealand, but Captain Harwood succeeded in making him believe that no force, which he might expect to meet, could successfully resist him and his party. Upon this they took fresh courage, though they were obliged to compel the crew to work the vessel ; and, had it not been for Mr. Harwood fortunately securing a lunar observation, they could not have made New Zealand so early as they did, in which case they must have experienced all the horrors consequent on a privation of water. It is worthy to remark, that, so divided was this motley group, there were, at one time, no less than three different parties—among the prisoners there was the neutral party, there was a Roman Catholic party, and there was the Protestant party, who had the command ; and the Catholic brethren had formed the plan among themselves of taking the vessel from their Protestant brethren, and forcing them to walk the plank. But the call at
New Zealand upset all this policy. Having gone so far, we now furnish the extracts from the log.
” At 9 A. M. on Friday, the third, of January, a brig hove in sight, coming into the Bay of Islands, which we supposed to be a stranger. When they saw the ships, they hauled in, and at 10 o’clock, she being then nearly in, the Captain went on board, and enquired of him whom he supposed to be commanding the stranger, and whence he came? He replied, from New South
Wales, bound to the River Thames with troops and provisions. We supposed, from the number of people, about fifty men, chiefly armed, that were on the deck, that she was proceeding to some settlement, and we had no suspicion whatever of them, at that time; though we, notwithstanding, thought the manner in which they managed the vessel was very strange. Captains Duke and Clark enquired of the Captain of the brig whether he was acquainted with the
place ? He said he was not, very well ; and
he was advised, in order to get a good birth,
to run further in, and close to the ships,
which he did. We asked one of the men who was walking on the poop, and supposed to be an officer, how long he had been running across ? when be replied very abruptly, that he did not know. About an hour after, Captain Clark sent Mr. Summerfield on board the brig with a note requesting any pitch, tar, or rosin they might
have to spare, as his ship was in a leaky condition, and had none of these articles on
board, and received the following answer :
—“Captain Walton’s compliments to Captain Clark, but having only one cask of tar, is willing to spare him a part of it, and will render him any service. ” Your obedient servant, ” JOHN WALTON.”
” Brig Wellington.”
” In the course of the day, Mr. Fairburn
having some business with Captain Duke, came over and enquired what vessel it was ? Captain Duke replied, be could not tell, but supposed her to be the brig Wellington, from Port Jackson. Mr. Fairburn and Captain Duke then went on board, to see if there were any letters for the Missionaries ; when Mr. Fairburn recognised a person who had formerly been a painter at Sydney, named Clay, and Captain Duke also recognised another, who had formerly been condemned in England, and was to have been
sent to Norfolk Island. This excited their
suspicions, that the vessel had been run away
with from Port Jackson ; for the people on deck, in soldiers’ jackets, had no appearance
whatever of regular troops. After leaving the brig we consulted together on what we had observed, and Captain Duke sent a polite note to the Commander to come on board to dine, as we wanted to learn who he was, and what he was about. He, however, declined the invitation, but said he would come for an hour in the afternoon. He did not come according to promise, and we went on board again, and remained upwards of an hour, during which time they appeared in great confusion, watering the vessel and trading with the natives, whilst we
thought it very strange, as she was only proceeding to the Thames, that they should
be taking such a quantity of water to supply
them on so short a passage; and, during the
time Captains Duke and Clark, were in the cabin, they observed a number of countersigns passing amongst the company, which consisted of about 10 persons and a guard. Mr. Williams came on board whilst we were there, and put a few questions to the Commander, which he answered in a very unsatisfactory manner. As we were going away a gentleman, who proved to be Captain Harwood, who commanded the brig previous to her capture, found an opportunity of whispering to Captain Clarke, and also to the Surgeon of the Harriet, telling them who he
was, and that the vessel had been taken from
him. We invited the two Captains, Walton and Harwood, to tea. Walton came, but Harwood they would not allow to come, and our boat’s crew informed us that a number of persons were confined below in irons. Whilst we were on board the brig, it appears Mr. Fairburn had a note slipped into his hand, acquainting us that she was from Port Jackson, bound to Norfolk Island with prisoners and provisions ; that, on the 21st of December, they rose upon the guard, whom they subdued, and confined below in irons,
in which situation they were at that time,
together with some of the prisoners, and that
they intended to take the vessel to South
America, after leaving this place, where, it
was reported, they were going to set the passengers and a number of the prisoners on
shore. When Walton came on board, Mr. Williams put some close questions concerning the brig, and also their intentions. He prevaricated a good deal, and when Mr. Fairburn produced the note that had been privately given him by Captain Harwood, he was struck with astonishment, but did not attempt to deny the truth of its statement. He confessed the whole of the transaction as to the taking of the vessel and confining the guard. A few, he said, were wounded, but none were murdered. He
observed also, that he little thought of being so trepanned, but that be should be resigned to his fate. We told him that he should consider himself a prisoner, and that we would not suffer him to leave the ship. We did allow him, however, to depart between 10 and 11 o’clock, as the brig could not proceed to sea that sight. He told us that they were bound for South America, where they would go on shore, and deliver the brig up to the former Captain and crew ; and that, on leaving the Bay of
Islands, it was their intention to set the
passengers and a number of the prisoners on
shore, with two months’ provisions. ” On Saturday the 6th, at daylight, we got the guns on deck, and made all ready, in case the pirates should make any attack on us. At 8 A. M. the brig bore down close alongside of the Harriet, and let go the stern anchor. They wanted several articles from us, in lieu of which they offered provisions, and every description of tools, all Government property, but the Captain resolved to have no transactions whatever with them. At noon an invitation to dinner was sent to Captain Walton and any of the passengers, which was declined. After dinner, Walton sent the following note to Captain Clarke :—Captain J. Walton’s compliments to Captain Clark, and will be glad
of his company to spend an hour or two this
afternoon, with himself, the late officers,
and passengers, in which, he may rest assured, nothing but sociability is intended. ” N. B. I cannot with propriety allow Captain Harwood to go out of the vessel alone. ” I remain yours, &c. “JOHN WALTON.”
” We went on board, and whilst there, every transaction was disclosed. The passengers said they had been very well used since the time of their capture, by the prisoners, in every respect, except plundering their property. Mr. Buchanan sent some of his property to me, to be taken care of for him, if he was allowed to go on shore. Captain Harwood complained very much
of not having rope sufficient to bring the
vessel from South America to Port Jackson
again, and Captain Clark agreed to let him
have a small quantity if he would give him a receipt for it, but he never received any until the brig was recaptured, and he reinstated in his former situation. At this time the crew and officers did not consent to have any thing to do with the vessel further than in selfefence. Whilst on board, the following statement was drawn up :—-” Bay of Islands, Jan. 6, 1827.—I do hereby certify, that the crew of the brig
Wellington, consisting of ten men, and ex-
Commander, is, by the force of arms, compelled to leave the Bay of Islands by the present Captain and crew. In witness thereof the undersigned Captains have subscribed their respective names ; their vessels being whalers, and too weak in force, without endangering the lives of their crews, and of the troops on board the brig Wellington, to recapture her from the hands of the prisoners or present crew, by whom she was taken on her passage to Norfolk Island.
” Whilst Captains Duke and Clark were on board the brig, Mr. Tapsell, the chief mate, got a spring upon her cable, which, when the pirates discovered, they called Captain Duke on one side, and told him they observed the spring on the cable, and that they were told by the native girls the guns were loaded, and that the chief mate meant to fire four guns at them, if they got under weigh. However, they allowed
Captain Duke to depart on giving his word that it was not his intention to fire. When they returned on board, the crews informed Captains Duke and Clark that there were more prisoners on board than we were aware of; that it was the intention of the rest, when they went out to sea, to make them all walk the plank, and, that if it was agreeable, they would endeavour to stop her, rescue the poor fellows that were below, and reinstate the Captain ; and at 7 P. M. we resolved not to let her go out of the harbour, but to attack her the next morning.
The brig having moved further in shore, and clear of the Harriet, we hove taught our spring, and brought the ship’s broadside on to her.
” On Sunday the 7th, at 4 A.M. the brig hove short, and loosed the jib. At 5 we hoisted our colours and fired the first shot. The pirates hoisted no colours, and we again fired, after which both the Harriet and ourselves continued firing for some time, and then ceased. After the second shot had been discharged, the chief part of the pirates ran below, and some jumped overboard. Finding that a number again mustered on the deck, we fired one more shot ; the pirates never fired any; and they having received a considerable deal of injury both in the hull, masts, and rigging, we sent it note to them, to the following purport :—” We wish to know your determination, as to whether you
mean to strike and deliver the passengers,
guard, and those confined on board the brig,
otherwise we can command one thousand natives who will massacre the whole of you. We mean to behave humanely to you all.
” To this communication we received the
following reply:—” It is with the greatest
reluctance I have, on the part of the majority
of the crew, to request that, if they resign the vessel, they may be permitted to land some
provisions, &c. &c. together with themselves.
On those terms we will surrender, otherwise
the passengers, crew, and soldiers must share
our fate.
” Sunday morning, 7th Jan.”
Note.—-” We allow you to land your prisoners, provided you give up your passengers and guard to my chief officer, and allow them to come on board the ship.
Answer.—-” We have come to a determination, that, until those canoes of New Zealanders sent expressly by the Missionaries, be returned to whence they came, we cannot think of landing ; as we conceive there is more danger in going on shore than in remaining on board open to your fire, we having as a security troops, crew, and passengers, who must all share the same fate.
We intend landing as soon as the canoes depart. ” JOHN WALTON.”
” In the course of the day, on Sunday, the canoes being dispersed, Captains Duke and Clark, Mr. Williams, and Mr. Fairburn, went on shore to disperse the natives. At 3 o’clock the pirates began to disembark, the guards were released, and at 4 we had full possession of the brig. As soon as the prisoners landed. The natives commenced stripping them, it being impossible to prevent them from so doing. Forty-one prisoners landed, leaving ...
They all landed at Koratica except Captain
Walton and George Clay, who were landed a little further off by Captain Duke himself, for fear of the natives. On going on board the brig, we found Skidmoor, a man residing on New Zealand, bartering for and buying every thing he could purchase out of her. In the latter part of the day we hove the brig’s anchor up, and warped her close to the two ships for protection, in case of being attacked from the shore. ” On Monday, the 8th, at 10 A.M. Captains Duke and Clark, Mr. Williams, and
Mr. Fairburn, with the officers and carpenters belonging to both ships, went on board the brig to survey her, and found the hull, masts, and rigging much injured, and the carpenters were set to work to repair her hull and fish her mainmast. When on board, we were informed, that a quantity of property had been taken out of her and brought on shore. We immediately proceeded in search, and discovered a cask of
provisions concealed in some sacred ground, and had it again brought on board the brig. ” On Tuesday, the 9th at 10 A.M. the natives brought a prisoner on board the brig—-Douglas, who acted as chief mate, after she was captured. The natives then came on board of us, and received 50lbs. of powder for his apprehension. They likewise brought back the brig’s boat that was taken away when the prisoners landed, and
for which I gave them 50lbs. more of powder.
” On Friday, the 12th, at day-light, the natives brought on board James O’Neal, Henry Drummond, Charles Daly, William Lyddington, William Ryan, and William Holt, prisoners, whom they had secured.
” On Saturday, the 13th, the natives brought in Jennings, M’Guiness, John Lynch, and William Webb, for each of whom we gave 25lbs. of powder. We likewise received from the Harriet 3 tons of bread, and from the Missionaries, who had been plundered by the natives under the
command of Shongy, several boxes.
” On Sunday, the 14th, Matthew Flame,
Cornelius Killick, and John Stewart, were
brought on board by the natives, who received from us for apprehending them, one musket and a cartouche box.
” On Monday, the 15th, at day-light, the natives brought in a number of prisoners, amongst whom were John Walton and Charles Clay, late Captain and Purser of the brig. As the natives well understood that these two were superiors on board, they would not deliver them up without receiving 100lbs. of p

Dianne Jones on 10th November, 2021 wrote:

TRIED: Dublin City on 13/2/1816, listed as 15 years old (http://members.pcug.org.au/~ppmay/cgi-bin/irish/irish.cgi), and found guilty of stealing a watch and wearing apparel (New South Wales, Australia Convict Ship Muster Rolls and Related Records, 1790-1849; 1817, Chapman).


Dianne Jones on 10th November, 2021 wrote:

9/8/1817: He was one of 70 convicts (69 from the Chapman and one from the Pilot) to arrive in NSW and who were then forwarded to VDL per the brig Jupiter.

Convict Changes History

Tony Beale on 8th August, 2021 made the following changes:

convicted at, term: years, voyage, source: New South Wales, Australia, Convict Death Register, 1826-1879 (prev. ), firstname: Charles, surname: Daly, alias1: , alias2: , alias3: , alias4: , date of birth: 1800, date of death: 0000, gender: m, occupation,

Tony Beale on 8th August, 2021 made the following changes:

term: 7 years, date of death: 3rd July, 1841 (prev. 0000)

Dianne Jones on 10th November, 2021 made the following changes:

convicted at, occupation

Dianne Jones on 10th November, 2021 made the following changes:


This record was discovered and printed on ConvictRecords.com.au