Hi Guest!
Contribute to this record

David Everson

David Everson, one of 300 convicts transported on the Aurora, 03 July 1833

Name, Aliases & Gender

Name: David Everson
Aliases: none
Gender: -

Birth, Occupation & Death

Date of Birth: 1801
Occupation: -
Date of Death: 1860
Age: 59 years

Life Span

Life span

Median life span was 55 years*

* Median life span based on contributions

Conviction & Transportation

Sentence Severity

Sentence Severity

Sentenced to 7 years

Crime: Breaking and entering and stealing
Convicted at: Suffolk Quarter Session
Sentence term: 7 years
Ship: Aurora
Departure date: 3rd July, 1833
Arrival date: 3rd November, 1833
Place of arrival New South Wales
Passenger manifest Travelled with 299 other convicts


Primary source: Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 90, Class and Piece Number HO11/9, Page Number 158
Source description: This record is one of the entries in the British convict transportation registers 1787-1867 database compiled by State Library of Queensland from British Home Office (HO) records which are available on microfilm as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project.

Did you find the person you were looking for?

If David Everson was the person you were looking for, you may be able to discover more about them by looking at our resources page.

If you have more hunting to do, try a new search or browse the convict records.

Know more about David Everson?

Contribute to this record

Community Contributions

Mary Felgate on 25th April, 2019 wrote:

David Everson, was possibly born at Wissett,Suffolk, son of Thomas Emmerson or Everson and Mary (Nee Rouse). He was baptised at Rumburgh Parish Church, Suffolk, on the 9th August 1801. He married Margaret Smith daughter of Benjamin Smith & Elizabeth Pearce on 21st July 1823 at Redisham, Suffolk.  Margaret had been born at Ilketshall St. Andrew, Suffolk, in 1801. David and Margaret went on to have eight children. The first three at Redisham. The remainder at South Cove, Suffolk. 

On the 31st December, 1832,  David, now aged 31,  was convicted of stealing corn & meal from Mr. Haward of Wrentham.  His co-accused was Thomas Goodings. They were found guilty and sentenced to 7 years Transportation to New South Wales. 

IPSWICH JOURNAL - Saturday, January 5th, 1833
BECCLES QUARTER SESSIONS on Monday last, Sir T. S. Gooch, in the Chair.
David Everson (21) sic, and Thomas Goodings, (37), were indicted for stealing corn and meal from the mill of Mr. Haward, of Wrentham, on the 19th Nov. last.  It appeared that Mr. Haward’s mill had been robbed several times, and his servant, Caleb Dennington, having reason to believe that his master suspected him, determined to watch in the mill, and,if possible, detect the thieves: he accordingly concealed himself amongst the sacks, and very early in the morning he heard a noise as of a ladder placed against the mill, and presently two men entered at the window, lighted a candle, and took a quantity of corn and meal, which they carried out; one of the men remained in the mill, fastened the door, put out the light, and went out again by the window, leaving all things in order.  Dennington, by means of the candle could distinctly see the prisoners, in whose houses the stolen property was found.  They were sentenced to be transported for 7 years.

IPSWICH JOURNAL - January 26th, 1833
The following convicts were removed from the above Gaol, on Thursday last, viz. Thomas Goodings, David Everson, William Goodwin, James Cane, and Henry Dawley, each for seven years transportation, to be put on board the Leviathan hulk, at Portsmouth.

UK, Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books, 1802-1849. 
Ship “CAPTIVITY” Moored at Portsmouth
EVERSON, David: Report: In prison before. Character Indifferent. Good in Gaol.

David sailed on the “Aurora III” on the 3rd July 1833. The ship carried 300 male convicts including several men from Suffolk.  On the Convict Indent David’s description is recorded. He was 5 feet four and three quarter inches tall, with a dark ruddy complexion.  Dark brown hair mixed with grey. Hazel eyes. He had a scar on the outer corner of his left eyebrow. The mark of a burn on his right jaw. Several marks of biles below the calf of his right leg.  It is noted he was aged 33, could read, was a Protestant.  Was married with 3 male and 4 female children.  His occupation was Farm Servant and Shepherd. 

The “Aurora” arrived in Sydney on the 3rd November.  The convicts were mustered on board on 7th November 1833 where details such as age, education, religion, family, native place, trade, offence, when and where tried, physical description, sentence and prior convictions were recorded. There is also occasional information in the indents about pardons and dates of death and colonial crimes, but none about where the prisoners were assigned on arrival.  The men were disembarked on Thursday 21st November 1833 and taken to Hyde Park Barracks where they were assigned for service. 

David eventually ended up as an assigned convict in the Bathurst area, west of the Blue Mountains. He must have been well behaved as he was granted his Ticket of Leave by the Bathurst Bench in September 1837 having serving 4 years of his sentence. His residence was with a Mr. A, Keer. This meant he was no longer an assigned convict and could find his own employment within the Bathurst area. He was granted his Certificate of Freedom in March 1842

In the following years his wife, now calling herself Mira Everson, was falling foul of the law.  She too ended up being Transported to Van Dieman’s Land (Tasmania) in 1845 but that is another story.  It is impossible to know whether David ever knew of his wife’s transportation.

In March 1845, David was granted a Land Lease of 640 acres in the Bathurst area.  The land is described as follows: County of Roxborough parish unnamed at the Running Stream one Section. Bounded on the East by William Lawson’s 640 acres. Purchases on the North & South by the Westerly continuation of the section line forming the North & South boundaries of that Land, and on the West by a section line.  The grant was later cancelled, almost certainly due to his following conviction for sheep stealing.

David Everson offended again in October 1845 and charged with stealing hundreds of sheep. In March 1846 he was convicted at Bathurst and was sentenced to 3 years in irons on the public roads and sent to the Stockade at Blackheath in the Blue Mountains.  The following report is a very long and is from the Sydney Morning Herald via Trove Newspaper database trove.nla.gov.au

Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), Friday 3 April 1846, page 2
BEFORE His Honor Mr. Justice DICKINSON.
SHEEP STEALING. David Everson, free by servitude, was indicted for stealing sheep, the property of William Hall Palmer, J.P.
The prisoner was defended by Mr. HOLROYD. In this case, the assistant of Richard Rushton, the approver, was again called into requisition : from his statement it appeared that in the month of October, 1843, that he and the prisoner went to a station of Dr. Palmer’s, on the top of the Turen Mountains, and about thirty-five miles from Warrangunya (where the prisoner resided, and was in partnership with Robert Lamb), and stole 211 lambs in the night ; we took them out of the yard, and drove them to within about four miles of the prisoner’s residence; prisoner left me and went home to get rations, and shortly returned ; we then erected a bow yard, and put these lambs into the yard ; some of them were marked with a large hole in the right ear, but the greater proportion with a swallow tail on the left ear ; those that were so marked on the left ear, we pierced a hole in the right ear ; I remained with them a fortnight, when these lambs were driven by me and prisoner to within half a mile of his home, when we drove up to the spot to where the lambs were, the few sheep he was possessed of, and the two lots were mixed together ; we made a wash pen, and washed the whole of them; I continued to shepherd them for three days, when the prisoner and me sheared them ; whilst we were shearing, two constables, Castles and Shearman, came there ; we were both marked with blood on our clothes from the sheep in shearing ; I got one hundred large size fleeces, that is fleeces from full grown sheep, for my share of the sheep and my labour ; I packed my wool in a bale and a bag, and it was sent into Bathurst with three bales belonging to John Alfred ; about twenty of the most remarkable of the lambs were killed at the prisoner’s residence ; and the prisoner had the remainder when I was taken in custody ; a flock of sheep from the prisoner’s was brought in to Bathurst in September, last, and out of them I selected two which I knew to be some of those that we stole from Dr. Palmer’s ; I could have picked out many more ; the prisoner left his station with three and a half bales of wool on a dray belonging to a man named Gibbons, and Constables Castles and Shearman; as he was going away, he told me to cut off the left ear of his own sheep and those taken from Dr. Palmer, which would destroy the swallow-tail, and so disfigure them that they could not be easily identified, saying, he thought the constables had noticed them ; after he had left I did as he had required, cutting off the left ear of all the sheep; a man called Lankey, and another named Bailey, assisted by catching the sheep, and two men named Gibbons and Robert Long were looking on during part of the time ; Lankey asked me why I cut off the ears of the sheep, and I told him that the Welshman, meaning the prisoner, and Lamb had had some quarrels, and this was done that the prisoner might the more readily know his own sheep ; this cutting of the ears of the sheep took place a day after they had been sheared ; my wool was brought in to Bathurst to Townsend’s ; I and Lamb coming with it; it was sold to Messrs. Syer, mine and Alfred’s in one lot ; Townsend was present at the weighing of it, and afterwards paid me £10 as the produce of my wool. The two sheep that I picked out in the Police Office yard had a large hole in the ear; the hole in the ears of the prisoner’s sheep was a small one; Dr. Palmer’s sheep at the station we took these lambs from were in charge of a person named Foxcroft ; the prisoner knew the sheep were Dr. Palmer’s, and in talking to me about them, named them as Dr. Palmer’s sheep. The manner of this stealing was as follows: the prisoner told me he owed a debt to a man named Prendergast, and that it would take all his wool and the greater portion of his fat sheep to pay this debt, and said he would like to get more sheep to make up a flock of his own, and that if he did not get them before he was seized on, he would not have the chance after ; we started for Dr. Palmer’s station, as his was the most out of the way one ; the hutkeeper at his station was called Mat, and has I believe left this part of the colony ; I understood the constables had taken the prisoner’s wool for a debt he owed a man named Prendergast for wages ; when the prisoner left to go with the wool, I remained in charge of the sheep until his return, when he took charge of them, and I went in with my wool to Bathurst ; and on my return I again looked after these sheep for about two months, when the prisoner again took charge of them ; he had before he got these lambs of Dr. Palmer’s about 180 of his own sheep.
This witness underwent a long and severe cross-examination by Mr. HOLROYD, in which he admitted, that besides the 211 now alluded to, he had stolen, or assisted in stealing, 1100 sheep from Mr. Lord, 217 from the Company’s station at Clear Creek, 160 from Mr. Hughes, and 220 from Mr. Bonnor, in all, according to his own moderate calculation of about 1900, in fact he acknowledged he had been a wholesale sheep stealer for years ; but, with comparative little advantage to himself. He did not mention any thing of the stealing of these sheep until he was taken in custody on a charge of stealing Mr. Lord’s sheep, about six months ago : the sheep stolen from Mr. Lord were intended for the prisoner and Robert Lamb ; of the two hundred and twenty sheep stolen from Bonnor, Lamb had one hundred, the prisoner seventy, and I had fifty.
Charles Castles, constable : In October, 1843, an overseer from the Glanmire Estate called on me, and in consequence of information he gave me, I started in his company for Dr. Palmer’s stations, on the Turen Mountains ; I saw part of a flock of yearling lambs, fine woolled sheep, with a swallow tail on the left ear, and some other mark on the right ; I pursued to track some sheep reported to have been stolen, and when I had arrived at a place called the Paling Yard, about twelve miles from the prisoner’s residence, and about ten from Dr. Palmer’s station, I received information that induced me to go to one Alfred’s, about two miles from prisoner’s residence; I however found nothing there that I was in search of; we however made no further discovery at that time of the business we went on ; about two months after, namely, in December, 1843, I went to the prisoner’s place at Warrangunya, with an execution on his property for wages due to a man named Prendergast, Constable Shearman being with me; after reading my warrant or execution, I told the prisoner I must take the flock of sheep, about 600 ; he told me the sheep had the catarrh ; I drove the sheep into the yard ; the flock consisted of different sorts, some were small, compact made, and fine wool ; and amongst these I observed many, I should suppose nearly 200, that had a swallow tail on the left ear ; when I arrived they were shearing some sheep ; I observed to the prisoner that some of them were Dr. Palmer’s sheep, (as they corresponded in mark and make with those I had seen at Dr. Palmer’s two months before) ; at my remark the prisoner appeared flurried, and whether by design or accident cut off one of the ears of the sheep he was shearing ; I remained here until the shearing was over, about five days ; and on one occasion left Shearman in charge to stroll about the neighbourhood, to see if I could discover anything, and on a spot a short distance from the prisoner’s residence, and between it and Cherrytree Hill, I came on the remains of some sheep that appeared to be recently burnt; portions of the legs had not been destroyed, and I discovered that they belonged to sheep that had been recently shorn ; and from the flesh that was on those parts not being in a state of putrefaction, I concluded the sheep had been very recently burnt ; proceeding a distance further on the top of a hill, I found a bow sheep-yard and a bark hut, and I was induced to think sheep had been there very recently, as there was sheep dung there very new ; from the bones I saw where the sheep had been burnt, I concluded there might have been one hundred ; on my return, I asked Lamb in presence of the prisoner what sheep they were that had been burnt ; he answered they were some that had the catarrh, and that they were obliged to destroy them by dray loads ; I then mentioned the bow yard and bark hut that I had seen, when the prisoner said some of the sheep were diseased, and that they had been removed there to prevent them from infecting others ; I remarked that it was strange they should place diseased sheep so near those that were not infected ; when I remarked that the sheep yard was rather a small one for a flock of sheep, to which I received no reply; during the time I was there, I could not observe symptoms of catarrh in any of the sheep ; the shearing being over, and the wool packed, I consented to take it towards liquidation of the claim for which I had the execution ; it was placed on a dray, and myself, Shearman, and the prisoner, started with it for Bathurst. In September last, I went with the Chief Constable to prisoner’s place ; a flock of sheep belonging to the prisoner was taken possession of and delivered to my charge to bring into Bathurst; and I afterwards saw Rushton in the Police Office yard pick out two sheep that he said belonged to Dr. Palmer, from the flock so brought in by me.
George Flitcroft alias Lankey proved being present and assisting Rushton in cutting the sheep’s ears.
To a question from the prisoner’s counsel, this witness replied that he observed no swallow tail on any of the sheep he caught, and he should have observed it if there had been such mark, as it was the same his master (Mr. Lee) had on his sheep ; he asked Rushton why he was cutting the sheep’s ears off, when he said the Welshman, meaning prisoner, and Lamb had some quarrels, and that it was done to enable the prisoner the easier to know his own sheep;
William Gibbons corroborated the approver’s statement as to the cutting off the sheep’s ears.
Mr. T. D. Syer proved the purchase of a quantity of wool from Lamb in January, 1844.
Mr. HOLROYD objected to this evidence as irrelevant to the case.
His HONOR, however, ruled for its being received, as it went to corroborate the approver’s statement.
Thomas Jones, Chief Constable, proved having gone to the prisoner’s residence in September last, and taking possession of a flock of sheep, which were brought into Bathurst.
This closed the case for the prosecution.
Mr. HOLROYD then observed that there had been no evidence adduced to prove the stealing beyond that of the approver ; and that there was no proof whatever that Dr. Palmer had lost any sheep.
His HONOR ruled that there was quite sufficient evidence to go to a Jury.
Guilty - three years in irons on the public roads.
This ended the criminal cases, and His Honor proceeded to the
The SOLICITOR-GENERAL intimated that he did not intend filing any information against Richard Rushton, charged with sheep stealing, and he was ordered to be discharged from the custody of the sheriff.

18th November, 1845 - DAVID EVERSON.  His Gaol description is as follows: Scar on right cheek. Scald on lower right arm.  Cut middle finger and litle one on left hand.  Scar about right brow.

David Everson died on the 27th January 1860 at Lime Kilns, Roxborough, in the Bathurst region.  He died of injuries accidentally received by a fall from his horse.
The informant on the Death Certificate was Thomas Hamond, a neighbour.  He was buried at Lime Kilns on the 30th January, 1860.

Convict Changes History

Mary Felgate on 25th April, 2019 made the following changes:

date of birth: 1801 (prev. 0000), date of death: 1860 (prev. 0000), crime

This record was discovered and printed on ConvictRecords.com.au