Hi Guest!
Contribute to this record

William Jones

William Jones, one of 300 convicts transported on the Baring, April 1815

Name, Aliases & Gender

Name: William Jones
Aliases: Wilkie (alias)
Gender: -

Birth, Occupation & Death

Date of Birth: 1796
Occupation: -
Date of Death: 1867
Age: 71 years

Life Span

Life span

Median life span was 55 years*

* Median life span based on contributions

Conviction & Transportation

Sentence Severity

Sentence Severity

Sentenced to Life

Crime: Breaking and entering and stealing
Convicted at: Old Bailey
Sentence term: Life
Ship: Baring
Departure date: April, 1815
Arrival date: 7th September, 1815
Place of arrival New South Wales
Passenger manifest Travelled with 300 other convicts


Primary source: Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 87, Class and Piece Number HO11/2, Page Number 204
Source description: This record is one of the entries in the British convict transportation registers 1787-1867 database compiled by State Library of Queensland from British Home Office (HO) records which are available on microfilm as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project.

Did you find the person you were looking for?

If William Jones was the person you were looking for, you may be able to discover more about them by looking at our resources page.

If you have more hunting to do, try a new search or browse the convict records.

Know more about William Jones?

Contribute to this record

Community Contributions

Phil Hands on 9th March, 2017 wrote:

Tried and convicted of burgalry on 26th October 1814 at the Old Bailey, sentenced to hang, but due to his young age the jury recomended mercy, and his sentence was commuted to transportation for life.
Left England in April 1815.
Ship:- the ‘Baring’ sailed with 300 male convicts on board of which 2 died during the voyage.
Arrived on 7th September 1815.

Old Bailey Trial Transcript.
Reference Number: t18141026-4

872. WILLIAM JONES , alias MILKY , was indicted for burglariously breaking and entering the dwelling-house of Frederick Fisher , about the hour of twelve in the night of the 9th of June , and burglariously stealing therein, a writing-desk, value 5 s. twenty pawnbrokers’ duplicates, value 6 d. one pair of snuffers and stand, value 2 s. a plated mustard-pot, value 2 s. a candlestick, value 6 d. two frocks, value 1 s. three glasses, value 1 s. four decanters, value 4 s. a redicule, value 2 s. a muslin cap, value 6 d. a wash-hand bason, value 6 d. a pair of nut-crackers, value 2 d. a cribbage-board, value 6 d. three sticks of sealing-wax, value 3 d three rouge-boxes, value 1 s. two papers of India currie, value 1 s. twenty jewellery working tools, value 5 l. fifty gross of steel beads, value 5 l. a sliding-box, value 6 d. a puzzle-board, value 6 d. three brushes, value 6 d. five gross of buckles, value 2 l. the property of Frederick Fisher .
FREDERICK FISHER . I am a jeweller , I live at No. 8, Nelson’s-place, in the City-road, in the parish of St. Luke’s ,
Q. On the 8th of June in the night, was your house broken open - A. After twelve o’clock at night it was. I went to bed about twelve o’clock on the 8th of June; I was the last person up in the house; before I went to bed, I made the house secure, every part of it, particularly the kitchen door; I am sure I shut that close to when I went to bed. About half past six o’clock or seven o’clock, I was disturbed by my children; I got up; I found my kitchen door buttoned on the kitchen side; there is a door at the bottom of the stairs which leads into the kitchen. The button was fastened on the inside of the kitchen; it must have been done after I went to bed.
Q. How did you get the door open - A. I put my son out of the window; he by getting out of the window, came in backwards, and so got into the kitchen, and turned the button that was inside of the door in the kitchen. I then came into the kitchen; the drawers were all open, and every thing was gone. It appeared that they got into my yard from another yard, over the wall. The door was broken open. Whether they got in at the door or the window, I cannot tell; they were both fastened. I bolted the kitchen door on the over night; the kitchen door opens by a latch. I am confident I latched it to go in by the kitchen door. The yard is surrounded by a wall; it is a ground floor kitchen. I went to Worship-street office; I got a officer. I went with the officer to Burgess’ father’s premises; they are situated close to mine. I knew Burgess before; he is his father’s horse keeper; his father is an hackney coachman. Burgess was in the loft. In the loft we found a japanned waiter, a brass candlestick, a silk handkerchief, and a blue quart decanter, it is not in the indictment. Part of them were in the parlour, and part in the kitchen, and I also found some duplicates: they were given up to me; there were about four duplicates. I have taken the things out of pledge; they were found in the loft, hid under some hay bands. The duplicates had been in a desk in the parlour. I bought them; they were my own.
Q. Were all the articles in the indictment taken from you that night - A. They were.
Q. Did you hear afterwards of any desk being found - A. Yes, on the 29th of July; I was out at the time it was brought to my house. When I came home, it was produced to me by my own family; it was broken all to pieces. I know nothing where that was found.
Q. Did you know the prisoner before this - A. I did not. I knew Burgess. I saw Burgess and the prisoner speaking to my little girl on the night of the 8th; I am sure the prisoner was with Burgess that night, about seven o’clock.
Mr. Alley. You have said Burgess was the son of a coachman, why did not you tell us he was a notorious thief - A. I know he is now; I did not know it then.
PHILIP MARCH . I am a watchman. On the 9th of June, at night, about eleven o’clock, I heard of the robbery. Mr. Fisher informed me his house was broken open and robbed.
Q. Do you know Burgess - A. Yes his farther’s yard ajoins Mr. Fisher’s. I met the prisoner after the robbery was committed; I saw him at the end of Nelson-place, between four and five o’clock in the morning; I knew his person before; he was an associate with young Burgess: there was another one with him; I did not see Burgess with him at that time. I went up New-street; I saw him turn up Bath-street, towards the New buildings; this might be the morning of the 10th, I cannot speak exactly to the day of the month; it was the morning after the robbery. I met the prisoner, I thought it had a suspicious look; I went to my brother watchman, and informed him of it, and when I came to Nelson-place, there were none of them to be found. I went to Burges’s yard; I found the wicket not as I found it before; I went into Burges’s yard; I saw the loft door open; I went into the loft. I saw Jones and another person with him in the hay loft. I desired them to come down; I told them they had no business there; they refused at first; I insisted upon their coming down. I told them I had more with me, then they came down; then I took them to the watch-house. I am sure the prisoner was one of them; I had seen him before in Nelson-place; I knew his person before. The next morning they were taken to the Police office and discharged. I did not search the loft.
BARNARD GLEED . I am an officer. On the 11th, of June, I went with Mr. Fisher to Mr. Burgess’s premises I saw the father; I told him I was come to search his premises; the prisoner was not present; the loft was open at that time; I went up into the loft with Mr. Fisher. I found a blue decanter, a silk handkerchief, a japan waiter, a brass candlestick, and a great quantity of duplicates; we then came out of the loft, and went down into the yard; I saw young Burgess in the harness-room; Mr. Fisher gave charge of young Burgess; I took him into custody, I told him what I took him in custody for; he denied any knowledge of it; he said, he did not know whose the property was, nor who did the offence he said he had nothing to do with it, nor did he know any thing about it. I knew nothing of the prisoner at that time.
WILLIAM BURGESS . My father is a Hackney Coachman; I used to clean his horses. I have known the prisoner about seven or eight months; I saw him on the 8th of June, he came to my father’s stable he asked me if I would go with him to get a pair of boots.
COURT. What time in the day was this when he came to you - A. Between seven and eight in the evening; he asked me to go with him to get a pair of boots; he told me I could get a new pair of boots if I would go with him; I at that time, I did not know where I was to go; I told him to stop, until I fed the horses; and shut up the gates; he then told me; I was to go to Mr, Fisher’s house; Mr. Fisher’s house is opposite of the gate. He said, there was a pair of boots hung up in the back kitchen; he said, between twelve and one o’clock would do. I walked about with him until I thought it was time to go and get my supper.
Q. Did you see the children of Mr, Fisher that night - A. The prisoner did; I was with him; the prisoner asked the child what time her father came home; the little girl said, sometimes at one time, and sometimes at another, but she was generally in bed; it was about half after eight when this conversation took place; then we walked about until almost ten o’clock; then I went to get my supper about ten o’clock; I told him to stop until I came out; I went home and got my supper; I came down stairs as if to go to bed; I slept below, and got my supper up stairs, and came down as if to go to bed below; I slept in my father’s house, in little Moorfields; the stables are in the City Road.
Q. Did you go to bed - A. No, I went out: when I came out I saw the prisoner, he was waiting for me. The prisoner and I walked about until almost one o’clock, then we went to Mr. Fisher’s house. it was nigh one when we went to Mr. Fisher’s house, it was dark.
Q. Was there any illumination that night - A. I don’t think there was. When we got to Mr. Fisher’s house, we got over the wall into the back yard; the prisoner went and lifted up the latch, and put his toe under the back kitchen door, and the door opened; the door opened easy; we came back again. I am sure he lifted up the latch. We walked back to the bottom of the yard; we went both of us and set in the privy; after we opened the door, and just as we got into the house, the watchman went past two; it was so dark then, we could not see in the kitchen.
Q. What did you wait in the privy all this time - A. For fear they should have heard us open the door. We waited in the privy an hour; we went back, and we both went in; we stopped a little time until it became a little light. We packed up a great many clothes out of all the drawers, and tied them up in a large table cloth; there were childrens clothes and different things; there were a pair of snuffers and stand in the desk. Then we went into the front parlour; we packed up a quantity of glasses and bits of old rags all that we could find; then we went and got two desks from the parlour; we put into the entry that leads to the door.
Q. Among the glasses that you took, were there any blue decanters - A. There were two blue, and several white ones; the big writing desk was heavy; there was gold upon the decanters. We went into the cellar where the fowls were; we killed them.
COURT. There is no fowls in the indictment - A. The snuffers and stand we put them together in the desk, and we put the desk in the hen roost, in my father’s yard; the other things we put in the hay loft; after we had taken them out, we then unchained the front door, and unbolted it. The decanters we also put in the hay loft. We went out at the front door, it is a spring lock; after we went out, we pulled the door to gently, we went out both of us, and took the things into my father’s stable-yard; we opened the desks there; there were a great many swivels and card racks; we found some little tin boxes, they contained various things, two large boxes of jewellers tools and weights. We covered the bundles over with the hay hands in the hay loft; we covered the desk too; we shut the hay loft door after us, it was not locked. We walked about a little while, and then we began to work.
Mr. Knapp. Q. Did you see Mr. Fisher after this - A. We were cleaning the horses and washing the coaches; between seven and eight o’clock I heard Mrs. Fisher and the children say, they had been robbed. I said it was a very bad job for them; we left the things in the loft until Saturday morning.
Q. What night was it that you committed the robbery - A. I cannot say the day of the week.
COURT. It was Thursday these things were stolen - A. The next Saturday after the robbery had been committed; the prisoner came and took away two bundles and the writing-desk out of the hay loft; I was in bed at the time. He told me afterwards where he took them to. I went in the afternoon to Sarah Stacey ‘s lodging, in Checquer-alley; I found the prisoner there, and the two bundles there. The prisoner said, the child’s dress he thought was not of much value, he had given them to her for her child. I asked the prisoner if he had got any money.
Q. What is Stacey - A. She is a girl that walks the streets.
Q. Did you find any of these things at Stacey’s - A. Yes. I told him I could not stop, and made an appointment to meet him. The next morning he came to the stable yard; when he came to the stable yard, I went with him into my father’s hen-roost. He looked into the desk, and took the snuffers and stand out; he said, he would keep them until he saw me again. He came to me between three and four in the afternoon. I went with him into Old-street, and from there into Tabernacle walk; we went to a pawnbroker’s, the corner of Tabernacle-row; he said, he would pawn them at Mr. Walker’s if I would wait at the door. He went into Mr. Walker’s, the pawnbrokers; he came out again with a shillings worth of penny-pieces, and a duplicate; I had six penny-pieces. We went into Chiswell-street, we got some victuals to eat; we walked about and parted. I was taken up first, and at Worship-street office, I was discharged. I was afterwards taken up for another robbery, by the Hatton Garden officers, and made a witness of; I was charged with this offence afterwards; I gave the same account I have to day. I was a witness here last Sessions, and gave my evidence; those persons got convicted.
Mr. Alley. Those men got convicted - A. Yes.
Q. Hutt, the officer, proved that those men were found in the fact.
Q. You say, your father is a coach master; you call yourself a ostler - A. I used to clean his horses. I had thirteen horses to clean.
Q. I suppose you drive yourself, do not you - A. No, sir; I am ostler to my father, and live in his house.
Q. This was on the 8th of June that the prisoner spoke to you - A. Yes.
Q. That was on the night of the illumination, was it not - A. I cannot exactly say.
Q. You pretened to your father, you ate your supper and went to bed; you deceived your family, and went out.
Q. You brought the stolen property and put it into your father’s stable; so that your father might be hanged? What time of the night was it when you went into the prosecutor’s premises - A. Nigh one o’clock, and just as we got into the kitchen the watchman went two o’clock.
Q. So that after you had ransacked this house, you carried this property into your father’s premises - A. Part I carried, and part the prisoner carried.
Q. You have said something about Sarah Stacey; did not you know her by the name of Sarah Lacey - A. No.
Q. She is an old acquaintance of your’s, is not she - A. I know her by eye-sight; the prisoner introduced me to her.
Q. You said some of the things was brought by the prisoner to her - A. Yes, as the prisoner told me. Sal Stacey was in the room at the time he said so.
Q. Was it not you that brought the things to Sarah Stacey - A. It was not. I was in bed at the time. He took them in my father’s cart; it was in the afternoon when I went.
Q. Was she examined before the magistrate - A. No.
Q. Is she here to day - A. Not as I know off.
Q. So then Stacey, who knows this important fact, that the prisoner carried the property to her lodging, if it is the fact, is not here to day - A. I do not know that she is here to day as a witness for the prosecution.
Q. You say the prisoner came to the place, and took out of the desk the snuffers and stand - A. Yes, that was in the morning. He took them in his pocket, and said he would keep them until he saw me again.
Q. That place where they were, was a place of concealment, was it not - A. Yes.
Q. More so than his own pocket? I dare say you did not go into the pawnbroker’s - A. He went in himself; I stood at the door. He pledged them in the name of Jones, Peerless-row. Instead of that, it should have been Poole-terrace. His father is a milkman, and lives in Poole-terrace; he lived with his father-in-law; his father-in-law has his name up Cunningham.
Q. You were taken in custody, and then you told this - A. Yes.
Q. Do you mean to say, that when you were first taken you told of this robbery - A. No, I did not. I was not asked any questions at the office at all.
Q. Upon your oath, did not the officers ask you whether you knew any thing about this identical robbery - A. That was in the yard. He told me if I knew any thing, I had best tell, he could not promise me any thing. I told him, no.
Q. And you were discharged - A. Yes.
Q. How long after that, were you taken into custody by an Hatton Garden officer - A. Two months perhaps.
Q. So this thing slept in your breast two months, and then you were taken up for a burglary at Baguigge Wells - A. Yes.
Q. Do you know Jonathan Wild - A. Yes.
Q. Have you accused Jonathan Wild - A. Yes, and caused him to be taken up; he was examined three times, and then dismissed.
Q. How often were you examined before you told any thing of this poor lad at the bar - A. Only once. I was taken up; they took the charge, and I was sent to the House of Correction; I was in the House of Correction before I spoke on this charge.
JURY. You mentioned that you passed by this house, did you see in the back kitchen a pair of boots - A. No, sir.
Q. How did you disearn the colour of the bottles if it was not day light - A. Every thing that we took out of the parlour we took out of the door; it was past four o’clock when we came out of the house, it was just peep of day then.
COURT. Did you perceive the stair-case - A. Yes, they came into the kitchen; there is a stair case door; we buttoned that. I buttoned that I believe, it was either I or the prisoner that buttoned it, to hinder the people from coming down stairs.
THOMAS MILLER. I am an apprentice to Mr. Walker, pawnbroker, No. 19, Tabernacle-walk.
Q. Do you know the prisoner - A. When I came to the examination at Hatton Garden office, I had a faint recollection of the prisoner; I was not positive to him; I had a recollection of his person. I have a stronger belief now then I had then. I have a stronger recollection of him the longer I look at his person. On the 17th of June, I took in pawn a pair of snuffers and stand; I cannot say what time of the day. I advanced a shilling upon them, to a man of the name of Jones, in Peerless-row; in all probability, I paid him in penny-pieces. In harvest time, we are short of silver, we generally pay for small pledges in penny-pieces. I believe at that time, I paid in penny-pieces.
JOHN LIMBRICK . I am an officer of Hatton Garden office. In consequence of information from Burgess, I received these things of a person of the name of Stacy; I found Maria Stacey in the room, and another woman there. Sarah Stacey ‘s child was playing on the floor, and Maria Stacey in bed, and the other woman. I produce a frock and two pair of breeches; I took them off Sarah Stacey ‘s child, or at least, from a child that was there. I was informed that Sarah Stacey lived in the same house.
Q. Where is Maria Stacey’s lodgings - A. No. 5, Rose-alley, Golden-lane. A Mrs. Ford keeps the house.
Q. to Prosecutor. Look at these snuffers and stand - A. I believe them to be my property; there is my mark upon it. I had them from the Country, with other goods, to sell by commission. The frock produced by Limbrick, they are the same pattern that we lost; they were made up as they are now, for a child to wear. These thing in the basket were brought to my house, and said to be found in Burgess’s yard.
JOSHUA ARMSTRONG. I found them things in Burgess’s father’s yard, in a box, in a hen-roost. I conveyed them to Mr. Fisher’s house; Mr. Fisher was not at home. I left them with the family.
Mr. Fisher. They have been in the possession of my family ever since Mr. Armstrong returned them. I am sure they are the things that I lost.
Barnard Gleed. These are the articles that I found in the hay loft; they are all here.
Prosecutor. The blue decanter is mine, this candlestick is mine; I have got the fellow to it at home. I believe they are all mine. A great many things
have not been found that were taken away. I lost the leases of two houses; independant of the leases, I lost above an hundred pounds.
JOHN HUTT . I am an officer. I apprehended the prisoner on another charge in September last.
REBECCA FORD . I live in Rose-square, near Golden-lane.
Q. Do you know a person of the name of Sarah Stacey - A. Yes; she lodged in my house between two or three years off and on, not contin

Phil Hands on 9th March, 2017 wrote:

* add missing information*

REBECCA FORD . I live in Rose-square, near Golden-lane.
Q. Do you know a person of the name of Sarah Stacey - A. Yes; she lodged in my house between two or three years off and on, not continually, we parted twice between that time. She had a child; she had a sister lived with me; her name was Maria Stacey . When she was not at my house, she lodged in Checquer-alley. I gave the officers the directions where she lodged.
Prisoner’s Defence. I am innocent of this robbery; I leave myself to the mercy of the jury.
The prisoner called two witnesses, who gave him a good character.

GUILTY - DEATH , aged 18, this was later commuted to transportation for life.
[ The prisoner was recommended to mercy by the jury, on account of his youth, and believing that he was led into it by the accomplice .]

Second Middlesex jury, before Mr. Common Serjeant.

Married widow Sarah Hall (nee Brooks) on 17th June 1822 at Sydney, they had 3 children.

Denis Pember on 11th March, 2017 wrote:

Sarah (nèe Brooks) was the widow of Thomas Hall (Convict, 1816, “Ocean”).  She had been married at Plumstead, Kent, England 2nd March 1805 and had 4 children prior to his being tried at Sussex Assizes 20th March 1815 and subsequently transported on “Ocean”.
Sarah and her family arrived on “Mary Anne” 19th January 1816 (Actually arriving before her convict husband!).  The couple had at least 2 more children before Thomas’s death.
Thomas had died in a boating accident in May 1821 in Middle Harbour, Sydney. This was reported in the Sydney Gazette, 19th May 1821: page 3.

Denis Pember on 11th March, 2017 wrote:

1825 muster (1823-1825)
Jones, William, Baring, 1819, 14 years, government servant to Richard Porter, settler, Kissing Point, Sydney.
Jones, Mary Ann, 15, came free, Mariner, child of William Jones, Richmond.
Jones, Sarah, came free, Mary Ann, wife of ditto.
Jones, John, 6, born in the colony, child of ditto.
Jones, Martha, 4, born in the colony, child of ditto.
also entered separately…..
Hall, John, 7, born in the colony, son of Sarah Hall, Richmond.
Hall, Harriet, 12, born in the colony, orphan school, Parramatta.
Hall, Sarah, came free, Mary Ann, 1816, wife of Wm. Hall, Sydney.
Hall, Sophia, 11, born in the colony, orphan school, Parramatta.
Hall, Susan, 9, born in the colony, orphan school, Parramatta.

Convict Changes History

Phil Hands on 9th March, 2017 made the following changes:

convicted at, alias1: Wilkie (alias) (prev. Wilkie (Alias)), date of birth: 1796 (prev. 0000), date of death: 1867 (prev. 0000), crime

This record was discovered and printed on ConvictRecords.com.au